Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old can they be when you purchase them?

This is the ad description from the person I'm talking to.

"have four beautiful baby cockatiels at $100 each. They were hand fed at two weeks old in November 2011. They are fully weaned with seeds, pellets, rice, vegetables, and fruit. "

So I'm guessing they're several weeks old now, is that enough to take home and start taking care of them?

I'm only interested in buying one of them.

And I've read that you need to regularly clip wings/toenails so can I get this done by a vet? And how much would he charge and how often should I have it done?

These are my main questions for now. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Cockatiels usually wean between 8-12 weeks, some babies wean fast and some take a longer time.

You can either take your bird to a vet or pet store that clips nails and wings or you can do them yourself if you feel comfortable doing so. Wings need clipped once the flight feathers have moulted back in, and nails need done just when they look long and sharp or feel sharp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, the ad says they've been fully weaned so I'll take her word for it.

How about cages? How much do they generally cost?

And food costs?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
You might be able to find good used cages for cheap on your local classifieds website:) It depends how large, minimum sized cages are usually around $70-$100, larger cages of course cost more. Search around on the internet for bird cages and you can see whats out there.

Food costs like any animal do add up....I would say I buy a bag of seed and a bag of pellets and they usually last about a month sometimes longer( usually about $10 per bag, some food is more expensive of course) then any extra treats like millet, millet is pretty cheap I get a bag full from Bulk Barn for $3. And then vegetables daily.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
It is best not to clip a tiels wings until it learns how to fly. Otherwise it can cause problems later. Some people clip their tiels claws themselves. I'm not comfortable yet doing that but I vet or pet store will do it for you. Cage prices very greatly. You can often find inexpensive used ones on places like craigs list. You would just need to make sure you properly clean the used cage before use and that there's no rust etc. Also, make sure it's the proper dimensions and bar spacing for a cockatiel.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
They were hand fed at two weeks old in November 2011.
-------------------------------------------

This means that the babies were 2 weeks old when she started hand-feeding them.

Depending when in Nov. they hatched they could be anywhere from almost 3 months old to as young as 7 weeks old. Ideally you would like a baby that is 2.5 to 3 months old. Many times younger birds may relapse from the stress of the sale and new home. If you can ask her for their hatch date (birdy birthday) them you can figure out the exact ages.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They were hand fed at two weeks old in November 2011.
-------------------------------------------

This means that the babies were 2 weeks old when she started hand-feeding them.

Depending when in Nov. they hatched they could be anywhere from almost 3 months old to as young as 7 weeks old. Ideally you would like a baby that is 2.5 to 3 months old. Many times younger birds may relapse from the stress of the sale and new home. If you can ask her for their hatch date (birdy birthday) them you can figure out the exact ages.

They are almost 3 months old she said. She started hand-feeding in middle of November so I'm going to say their birthday is November 6th which is the same as mine :love:

I'm definitely getting one from here now.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
How much does vet care usually cost?

For example, getting their wings/nails trimmed.
You need to have at least several hundred dollars put away at all times for vet care. An annual physical for a well bird generally costs around $100-150, more with labs or bloodwork. In the event of a medical emergency (and don't think it can't happen to you), you might have to pay emergency fees, or for other expensive procedures. I spent roughly $800 on vet care for one of my birds in the three months after I adopted her. You need to have that kind of money available, because you never know when you will need it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I personally have $500.

If there's any emergencies my parents will pay for it, moneys no problem in that sense. But how soon do I need a checkup? The one I'm getting Is supposed to be 3 months old.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I allow mine to settle in for a week before taking them to the vet. This way they can get used to their new home a bit first.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Hi!
For a single cockatiel, you can get a nice cage for about $80-120 on Hayneedle.com.
The pet store close to me clips birds' nails for about $10. I don't know about wings, as I chose not to have my birds' wings clipped. I actually now clip my birds' nails myself, but if you are not experienced, you may want to watch someone else do it first, you don't want to hurt the quick in the nail and so on.
Food should not be too expensive, if you are going to have only one bird, a bag of food will last you for a while, but your bird will need toys, and they can get bored with the same stuff, so make sure you rotate bird toys for him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts