Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting on a forum of any kind - sorry if this is the wrong thing in the wrong place....
Joey is moving in with me tomorrow. He is very old (already well into his 20s) and his owner (who was also very old) has died. He’s not particularly sociable, but will whistle now and again when talked to (after he’s stopped hissing!) and isn’t tame at all. I want to do the best I can for him, but what exactly is that? His cage isn’t great, nor is his diet, but is too much change for him now just as bad? Do I just see if he adjusts to his new surroundings first, before I make any changes? What about a vet (he’s not seen one in years). I don’t want to stress him out unnecessarily. This all sounds awful I know, I feel out of my depth, but want the best for him. I am prepared to learn and do what it takes - he’s a grumpy old man, but I already have a bit soft spot for him. Any advice?!

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
You've already done a wonderful and loving thing by taking this grumpy old man in! At his age, about all you can do is make him as comfortable and loved as possible. Keep in mind that due to his previous owners age, Joey probably didn't get much attention and was pretty much left on his own. I would for sure get him a better cage filled with toys and perches. Now as to the diet, that may be a tuff one. I would TRY him on a good blend of tiel food such as Rowdybush and see how he takes to veggies such as broccoli. DON'T expect drastic changes over night. it may take him a while to warm up to not only his new home but what he eats as well. Do you have any photos of him?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply! He’s home with me now. I’ve done a quick clean of his cage, bowls and toys - but I noticed he kept puffing up his feathers and shivering after so much intrusion so I thought it best to do the minimum today and let him settle in. I’ve covered his cage with a sheet now as it’s evening and he kept nodding off on his perch so hopefully this will make him feel safer. He’s eaten and has been whistling quite happily and I can still hear the odd little chirp from him now as I type this! Going to browse this site (amazing resources!) and have a trip out tomorrow to stock up on a few things for him. Thanks once again - your advice and encouragement was much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your reply! He’s home with me now. I’ve done a quick clean of his cage, bowls and toys - but I noticed he kept puffing up his feathers and shivering after so much intrusion so I thought it best to do the minimum today and let him settle in. I’ve covered his cage with a sheet now as it’s evening and he kept nodding off on his perch so hopefully this will make him feel safer. He’s eaten and has been whistling quite happily and I can still hear the odd little chirp from him now as I type this! Going to browse this site (amazing resources!) and have a trip out tomorrow to stock up on a few things for him. Thanks once again - your advice and encouragement was much appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts