Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right spot to put this question. I wanted to save the feathers my cockatiel naturally loses from molting. Then either put them on a canvas or something. Just have a pretty way of displaying them. I have seen some people put a few feathers in a clear Christmas ornament. I was wondering if anybody else had any ideas? My grandmother loves to paint so I was thinking of having her paint a picture of him and somehow incorporating his real feathers into the picture.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
display feathers

I recently saw earrings online made of cockatiel feathers. You can get the earring parts at Michael's or other crafts stores. I thought that would be kind of neat to use some of Bennie's smaller feathers.
Maybe you already know this, but be sure not to use any wild bird feathers, even ones you have found. Wild native birds are protected by federal laws. It is illegal to have them. There was a woman locally who was using bird feathers in her artwork, feathers she just found outside. She had never harmed any wild birds, but she was fined a ridiculous amount of money. I think that goes back to the early 1900's when many birds were almost hunted to extinction for their feathers.
That said, I would love to see some of the crafts you make with them. Some of the feathers are beautiful; I always hate to just throw them away!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no idea. Thanks for the warning! I just planned on using my cockatiel's feathers, but I would have never guessed that you couldn't use feathers found outside.

Now that you mention it, I remember my grandmother use to use feathers for crafts from our ducks that we had on our pond (we bought them around easter then raised them ourselves). One day, I found a random pretty bird feather outside to give to her and she said she couldn't use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.