Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Kuifie, up until recently, would take showers with me. but now im starting to give her mist baths. she doesnt really bathe in dishes, but apparently my mother has seen her try to bathe in her water bowl, where we then promtly clean it and try to give her a different dish. no luck.

what do you think is the best bathing method? she seems to have a lot of those "birdy dandruffs" to the point where her "puffy shakes" send out a cloud of teeny feathers. is that a sign of too little bathing?

any advice?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Unfortunately, all that dandruff is just part of the tiel package. Cockatiels do need to be bathed/showered more often than other birds because they produce the most dust of any other bird species. I give Kirby a shower every Tuesday and Friday.

You can sometimes let a bird bathe on their own, but if they don't do it on their own regularly you need to either assist them with showers from you or you need to encourage them to bathe more often. If they don't bathe at all (like my messy boy), then they need regular showers from you.

One thing you can try is to get a large pie dish (nice and reflective on the bottom) and pour some lukewarm water in there. The sight of their reflection might encourage the bird to go check it out. The same can be done with a regular bowl by putting a mirror in the bottom. I personally have had no luck with this with Kirby; he is a total little boy at heart :lol:

What I have is a misting spritzer bottle, and I give him his mist shower every Tuesday and Friday, like I said before. If you're giving her mist showers or taking her in the shower with you, as long as you are doing it often enough you should be fine without having her bathe herself. However, if she's coming into the shower with you be VERY careful of the following:

1. Make sure the water is just a little bit warm or lukewarm. If it's too hot or too cold it can be bad for the bird. Even if it doesn't seem too hot/cold to you, it might to your bird, so just be careful.

2. Don't let any soap or shampoo etc touch your bird. These can be toxic to them

3. Don't let the water fall directly on top of them. Most shower heads are too powerful for birds and can hurt them.

Honestly, though, the mist baths should be enough so long as you do them often enough (and I find that they are the easiest option, though that's just me :))

1 - 2 of 2 Posts