Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm having some problems bathing my Cockatiel, Cosmo. He is extremely scared of any objects, and refuses to go near them. Since that happens, I cannot manage to make him sit in a bath, a pan, or even the sink to bathe him. Also when I do mist him, he sits there shivering, not preening at all. He usually preens all day, but never does it when I get him wet. How should I get him to bathe? He is extremely dusty and I feel that bathing may make his molting easier.

Also is there any way to get a Cockatiel used to objects? He usually flies away from them, or rarely hisses at them.

Thank you!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Try using a spray (mister) bottle with luck warm water. Yes, he may freak out the first few times but he'll get use too it. And TRUST me, it will cut down on the tiel dust! A way you can tell if and when he gets use to it is.....he'll eventually hold his wings out so the spray will get under them! That's a sure sign he's enjoying it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try using a spray (mister) bottle with luck warm water. Yes, he may freak out the first few times but he'll get use too it. And TRUST me, it will cut down on the tiel dust! A way you can tell if and when he gets use to it is.....he'll eventually hold his wings out so the spray will get under them! That's a sure sign he's enjoying it.
Okay, thank you! Though I'm kinda wondering if he even knows to clean under the mist. He was neglected for 3 years until I got him, and I even had to teach him how to fly. Do you think he knows how to?

·
Registered
570 Posts
By neglected, I hope you don't mean locked in a cage for 3 years! If so, I can see where the poor bird would have issues flying. As mentioned above, it may take some time for him to get use to the warm spray but this simulates rainfall and in time, most birds will learn to enjoy it. This also encourages them to preen there feathers more keeping them in better shape.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By neglected, I hope you don't mean locked in a cage for 3 years! If so, I can see where the poor bird would have issues flying. As mentioned above, it may take some time for him to get use to the warm spray but this simulates rainfall and in time, most birds will learn to enjoy it. This also encourages them to preen there feathers more keeping them in better shape.
Okay, thank you! I really appreciate the help!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts