Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I adopted Kirby in March I've been trying to figure out how to get the stubborn boy to keep clean. I started with mist showers, but when I'd do them he'd just climb up my arm trying to get away from the water (I don't have any perches that wouldn't be destroyed by the water and that he'd be able to hold onto while slippery other than myself). So I've tried offering different bathing options for him, but he just climbs right out if I put him in or ignores it completely if I don't. So I tried getting into the bath myself and shaking my head in the water and flapping my 'wings' around, and he kind of looked interested, but if I held him near the water he'd just flap really hard and then climb away from it.

The most recent thing I've tried is to put him in the shower with the setting on light mist. I got in myself and put my head in the spray so it wouldn't hit him directly, and then held him under me. He got drenched from the mist, and for once didn't try to move away, but acted really weird. The whole time he had his eyes closed, which I thought was maybe because he got water in them, but the second I turned off the water he opened them. He would also slowly turn his head around, and it seemed like he was turning it towards the mist, but it was hard to be certain. Afterwards he made some noises that sounded like beak grinding, but he was moving his beak up and down (this is just when he moves his beak, like he's mimicking a noise, not constantly), and at one point he opened his beak and made a noise that's kind of hard to describe, but it sounded similar to a cough, I think? Either way I'm really worried now that he might have water in his lungs or something. Or maybe are those noises he picked up from his previous owners? I've never heard them before...Also, the eyes closed and head moving, did that mean he was enjoying it? Or is that a bad sign? I only had him in there for a minute or two, but now I'm really really worried.

Premium Member
The whole time he had his eyes closed, which I thought was maybe because he got water in them, but the second I turned off the water he opened them. He would also slowly turn his head around, and it seemed like he was turning it towards the mist, but it was hard to be certain. Afterwards he made some noises that sounded like beak grinding, but he was moving his beak up and down (this is just when he moves his beak, like he's mimicking a noise, not constantly), and at one point he opened his beak and made a noise that's kind of hard to describe, but it sounded similar to a cough, I think? Either way I'm really worried now that he might have water in his lungs or something. Or maybe are those noises he picked up from his previous owners?
Sounds like he had a decent time. And yep, sounds like he was coughing. To be honest, I'm not sure coughing is the right term, but it's happened to me and that's what it sounds like. Eyes closed is perfectly normal, but coughing is something to keep in mind. Sounds like he got a little water in his nares and his body is trying to sort it out. I've done the same thing 1st time around. To fix this, just don't let the water near his face. If you want to get his head, go from behind, not front on, that way the water can roll off instead of collecting on his face

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
To fix this, just don't let the water near his face. If you want to get his head, go from behind, not front on, that way the water can roll off instead of collecting on his face
I just had the overhead shower spraying on mist, how can I fix this in the future? I'm thinking about getting a garden sprayer (for water only!), because I'm thinking that maybe the difference between the shower and the squirt bottle is that the shower was a continuous spray? What do you guys think?

Registered
You don't need to fix it. Getting water in their sinuses isn't harmful and some birds even do it on purpose to help clean their airways. I agree that it's a little disconcerting, but if he didn't seem distressed, then I wouldn't be concerned.

Registered
Hi Lunawolfsong,

May be some water got into his nares so he is making the sound or sneezing just like we do when water or soap enters our nose.

I do the below for Cutie.You can give it a try and see if it works!

I keep cutie in cage (Portable cage)while giving Bath.I take his cage Outside to our Terrace and place it on a chair. I wait for 5 min so that cutie adjusts with the temperature outside then i mist him and his toys with spray bottle( like the ones used in salon for hair cut).

Cutie enjoys playing with the toys during shower. I generally mist him daily if its sunny days as its summer in india else after every 2 days.

After shower i wait fr 10-15 min till he dries off then i bring him along with his cage to room.
It helps in 2 things
1. Cutie gets the Vitamin D absorbed from the direct sunlight which is not dat harsh.
2. Cage is also cleaned daily and stays clean almost :)

Hope this Helps!

Registered
You don't need to fix it. Getting water in their sinuses isn't harmful and some birds even do it on purpose to help clean their airways. I agree that it's a little disconcerting, but if he didn't seem distressed, then I wouldn't be concerned.
I'd have to agree. Miles loves to be sprayed directly in the face with the spray bottle. He might sneeze a little but nothing more.

Registered
My cockatiels do the same head movement, squinted eyes pose when I spray them with the hose in the garden aviary. My former cockatiel Gracie also did it when he would take showers with me. Seems normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, thanks guys! I'm thinking about doing this because it's just so much of a hassle for me to do it in the shower together twice a week: http://einsteinparrot.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-shower-time.html
I was thinking that maybe the reason he liked the shower was because it was a continual spray, unlike the spray bottle. If this doesn't work, though, I'll do the shower method and donate the mist shower stuff to Fallen Feathers.

Thanks!

Premium Member
Honestly, I turn on my shower to mist and put all the birds in the tub, letting them get as wet as they wanted. This usually resulted in nice wet birds and it wasn't as crazy as me having to get in with them. Then, I'd take them out and put them on the floor and I have a birdy parade to the cage lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly, I turn on my shower to mist and put all the birds in the tub, letting them get as wet as they wanted. This usually resulted in nice wet birds and it wasn't as crazy as me having to get in with them. Then, I'd take them out and put them on the floor and I have a birdy parade to the cage lol.
That is the most adorable thing I've ever heard!

I might try that, I just have three concerns:
1. Even at the misting setting, I think the spray might be too powerful. If I had him right on the floor it might help, but...
2. My mom's shower has mold, and I wouldn't want him to walk into it, and her shower is the only one with the misting option.
3. Her drain is somewhat large, and I would worry about him getting a little foot stuck :(

That's why I was thinking of getting a shower perch and the mist sprayer. I was also thinking about getting one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop and just taking him in the shower with me (but removing him when it's time to shampoo/condition).

Premium Member
I mean that's up to you, but I've never done any of those things. You could always just buy a showerhead that has the mist option and go that route. With them being on the floor, they are far enough away from the actual start of the spray that it's not powerful at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I got it figured out now:

I put his t-stand perch in the bathroom, took my shower, and once I'd finished making sure I'd rinsed off all the stuff I stepped out and brought him in. We both enjoyed the lukewarm water together (at the mist setting) in this incredible heat (it's getting into the hundred and teens everyday). I would put my hand under the water facing him so that he would get plenty of mist. He very much enjoyed it and did not make any scary sounds afterwards, so I'd say I hit the jackpot! Afterward I blow dried him (from a safe distance on the lowest heat and power settings) and he seemed to really enjoy that too! I'm glad I finally got him to love his little spa days :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Registered
When I got Ansel he hated water bottles so I introduced him to the shower. I had one of those slide door showers made of glass so I set him on the towel rack bolted to it and let him watch me in the shower a few times, and once I saw him fluffing up and trying to bath I brought him in. I put him on the shelf and would let the water splash off of me onto him and he would usually try to bath for a bit and then sit silently with his eyes closed enjoying it. After we were done I would put him on the shower rack next to my sink and blow dry him down. Now that I've moved house I got a little suction cup rack (for holding shampoo and such) and set him on that in this shower and he seems to enjoy it too. Sometimes he will actually sing to me while showering which is really cute! Maybe the shower is more natural to them, like rain, so they are more ok with getting wet from it than a spray bottle that hisses at them :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts