Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've seen some people say they've made toys out of balsa wood from a craft store. However, at my local craft store the balsa wood has a very strong odor of glue. Is it still safe for birds? Does balsa just smell like that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
My balsa does not smell like glue (just sniffed it to be sure! ;) )

Is it solid balsa or a laminated product similar to plywood? Not sure why it would smell like glue. I would skip it if that is all you can find.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My balsa just smells like wood...I would not use that one that smells like glue.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it solid balsa or a laminated product similar to plywood? Not sure why it would smell like glue. I would skip it if that is all you can find.
I'm not sure what it actually is; it's labeled "solid balsa" and is just a block of wood. I was initially thinking it must be some sort of laminate because of the smell, but was unsure because others had said they got balsa at craft stores and all craft stores around me had the same smelly wood. But apparently others have superior stores with actual wood.

I suppose I'll have to go online then to find some. Does anyone know a good online source?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts