Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do the feathers on a normal, healthy tiel look like? I was watching Stella preen it and noticed the feathers look disheveled and thinned out. Are they supposed to look that way or does she have a plucking issue? I can't touch her yet to look at it closer or get a pic but I'll watch for her to preen again so I can show it to you guys.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was going to take a picture of Jub, but this image works just as well (found on google).

Just click the thumbnail to view it larger.

The back/neck won't have feathers of the kind that you normally think of when you think of feathers, if that's what you're asking. They should be shorter and kind of thin (i personally think they look almost like little pins), at least in the neck area. However, that being said, you definitely shouldn't see any skin visible. The area should be fully covered and look generally well-kept by your bird.

Posting a picture would help us help you, if you could manage to get one!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't sure about the see-thru part because she's white. When I look at their backs when they've turned around, the feathers look like they do in your pic. I think maybe it was the part under the wings I was seeing. It almost looked wet but I haven't been able to get them to bathe yet.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
From your description your 'tiels feathers don't sound quite right. :blink:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree with CharVicki, that doesn't sound right.

Here's some pics of a wet cockatiel (again, i just googled it). The feathers should only look like that when they're wet. Otherwise, the bird should be fully covered and you shouldn't see any skin.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts