Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocko has a small bald patch at the back of his head and hes not moulting and when I was scratching his head a feather came off.Im Worried.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
There are three possibilities: 1) Rocko has always had a genetic bald spot and/or thin feathering on his head that you did not previously observe, 2) the bald spot is left over from his recent molt and has not finished filling back in yet, or 3) your new bird is plucking Rocko.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are three possibilities: 1) Rocko has always had a genetic bald spot and/or thin feathering on his head that you did not previously observe, 2) the bald spot is left over from his recent molt and has not finished filling back in yet, or 3) your new bird is plucking Rocko.
Number 3 is definitely not a possibility Rocko is the boss of Loki and they live seperate and im always watching them and I dont know what u mean by thin feathering do you mean he has few feathers on his head and the bald spot only appeared today.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
If it's that small, then I don't think it's a concern. But if I saw a picture, I might be able to say that more definitively.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Rocko might have knocked his head into something and lost some feathers. When Honey first came home, she flew into a wall and knocked out a small patch of feathers close to her eye. I was extremely worried but it turned out that she was fine, and the feathers started growing back about a week later.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rocko might have knocked his head into something and lost some feathers. When Honey first came home, she flew into a wall and knocked out a small patch of feathers close to her eye. I was extremely worried but it turned out that she was fine, and the feathers started growing back about a week later.
Honey coming home is nothing compared to when Rocko came home lol.I opened the box he was in a it was full of blood and it was all pouring from his eye in big lumps.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Yeah I remember you mentioned that on another thread, that must have been very traumatic for both of you. So glad Rocko made it through that. :)

And I wouldn't worry about the bald patch. It should correct itself soon enough. :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I remember you mentioned that on another thread, that must have been very traumatic for both of you. So glad Rocko made it through that. :)

And I wouldn't worry about the bald patch. It should correct itself soon enough. :)
Thats the reason why I brought Lokis cage to the petstore I was afraid the same thing would happen if he was in a box.Also im starting to think I have two female cockatiels they dont even sing only chirps.But males dont have to sing or whistle do they.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They don't have to, but generally male vocalizations are different from female vocalizations. If they sound exactly the same then most likely you have two cockatiels of the same sex.
If the both sound different does that mean one is female and the other male

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Maybe. Not necessarily. One thing I've noticed is that when two tiels are new to one another, they tend to sound different. The longer they live in the same house, the harder it becomes to differentiate because they sort of integrate the sounds they make.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts