Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard flapping and chain jingling and I ran it to see what was wrong and Spike was hanging with his beak stuck in the chain of his toy :eek: He could of broke his neck :eek: I put my hands under him but he was panicking so he would not perch so I grabed the toy and he got his beak out. I did not see any blood and he is preening now. So I think he will be ok. I guess I have to get rid of all my toys with chain now. Here is a photo of the toy that hurt Spike, it is the big blue one

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iam glad he is ok aswell. I don't know what I would do with out him :love: I did notice he chiped his beak on one side at the bottom and top part of his beak. He is eating fine though. Would it take a week or two for his beak to smooth out again?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Mom's Cockatoo was a rescue and it had a chipped beak when she got it. She took him to the Vet and he put him on soft foods until it healed. It took some time but eventually it did heal.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Oh dear, that's a bit of a worry, glad he's okay though. :)

I have a toy that has chains on it a bit like that one -

Now I am a bit worried that'll happen to one of mine. :eek:
Anyways it should only take a couple of weeks to smooth out.​

·
Registered
333 Posts
Poor little guy, that must have been very frightening. I'm not too sure what a chipped beak looks like, but it sounds nasty, I hope that it heals quickly. I recently read about the dangers of those metal chains they use in so many bird toys and have been avoiding them.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Jaime,

I'm looking at the culprit (the toy) and am wondering at which part he got stuck on. Excuse my questions it's just that I have a couple of toys that are simalar and I always get worried about the toys.

My husband teases me about my toy categories:
  • The ones they can play with when we are around
  • The toys that have to be put away when we are not around.
He says that the way I worry about what should and should not be in the cage, the poor little guys would be bored with what I would leave that I consider safe. :confused:

Although, I do have to brag that I am so pleased to see that he is the first one putting away the "Adult supervision required toys" when we go out. So, he gets it. I'm just neurotic.

Poor little Spike. Thank goodness you were able to get to him. I hope both of you are doing okay.

Extra snuggles for him this weekend. And maybe a millet cocktail. With a sprig of parsley. And you should do something nice for yourself.

Please take care,

Kathie

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
You are so lucky to have got there in time! I hope he is ok and it doesn't happen again, toys can be so dangerous! :eek:

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The part he got stuck in was the chain itself. His beak looks like, when a layer of your finger nail peels off. I even bought some plastic chain to use to make toys Iam not sure if I will use it now. Luckliy he is fine and being as saucy as ever :p

·
Registered
644 Posts
To me,saucy is a good thing. I like saucy here. I take it as meaning they are comfortable to let you know what they think or feel. I have never discouraged that inany of my pets.

Does the chipped beak mean any pain or discomfort?

I bought a ton of plastic chain. I seems that is their favorite thing to chew.

My first reaction is "Forget it, I'm not using it". However, it really is like dealing with kids. You have to keep an eye on them and try to do your best. You can't sheild them from everything.

It's learning to work with it.

Does that make sense?

Katt

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't mind Spike being saucy :p I don't think he is in any pain at all. When it first happened he ground his beak abit. So I think it may have hurt right after but he is great now. I wish I could protect him from everything but I know I can't. Iam just glad I don't have any real kids. Spike is enough to worry about :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts