Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Frank for 14 years and he's been in the same cage for all of those years, with everything in the same exact spot. Anytime I've tried to rearrange things or introduce a new perch or toy, he gets very upset and won't even go in the cage. So I've kept things as they are to make him happy.

I bought a new perch for him today, and the same thing happened. He immediately jumped out of the cage and onto my shoulder, and refused to go back in the cage. He got real low and started pacing back and forth on my shoulder, looking at the cage the whole time, and started chirping really loud as if he was telling me off.

So I took the new perch out and put the old one back, and he calmed down.

My question, am I better off just leaving things the way he likes them, so he doesn't get upset? Or should I leave the new perch in the cage, and make him get used to it?

I don't want to do anything to damage his trust in me, or cause him anxiety at his age. But at the same time, his cage is old and things are starting to fall apart, and I'm trying to give him new things for his benefit.

Of course, he doesn't understand that, lol. He just sees danger, danger, intruder, intruder. Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
If Joey seems wary of something new, I will sit it where he can see it, but far enough away from the cage he can be confident it won't attack him. He spends most of his time playing on top of his cage, but is aware of what is moved inside it. Once he seems to be okay with it as is, I will move it a bit closer, then closer. The final step is to hold the toy, or perch, and talk about it in my calm, yet slightly excited voice (as you'd use with a human toddler). I ask him if he likes it, ask him "Doesn't it look fun!?' and tell him how much I like it. Eventually his curiosity will get the better of him and he will get nearer to it until he pecks at it or licks it. He does seem to like to lick things. :D

I am fortunate that as he gets older (still a kid, and will be 3 at the end of October), he is less likely to require an adjustment period, but I have tried to keep things moved around from time to time, and rotate toys to keep him used to changes.

Of course, we still struggle with gift wrap on tubes, flyswatters and the long handled Swiffer duster. He just DOES NOT like those at all.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I, too, will second TamaMoo's suggestion to keep things farther from Frank's cage and gradually moving the item closer. I also find my guys like new items poised low near their cage and gradually moved up. It's as if they think when it's higher up, it'll eat them. Silly boogers!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hope all of this helps Frank. It is interesting what they are and aren't scared of, and how different it is tiel to tiel. Overall, Joey is more receptive to new toys than my mom's Moe is, but Moe is very much a people person while Joey is very much into stranger danger. Moe loves everyone whether he's met them or not, but Joey likes hubby, me, mom, dad, my brother, our landlady, one neighbor who is also maintenance, and my best friend. That is it. Everyone else in the world is there to eat him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts