Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not understand. Lemon and Sylvester have been at it for several months now and have had no chicks. Is there a way to entice Pepper and Sunny to mate? I would love to have some chicks, not a huge amount but at least one or two and Lemon does not seem to be getting it done. Any suggestions to help?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
More explanation is needed...is she laying eggs at all? Are they fertile? Does she and her mate sit on them? Are they a bonded pair or a bondage pair? Bondage pairs won't be good parents and some won't even hatch out eggs together. As to the other pair, are they old enough? Bonded? Have they been mating? I know its a lot of questions but this just isn't enough info for us to go on.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
There are several possible explanations:

1. Maybe they're hormonal enough to copulate but not hormonal enough to lay eggs. Buster and Shodu "did it" for six months with no results, then when springtime arrived Shodu surprised me by laying an egg on the cagetop play gym.
2. Do they have a nestbox? Some birds will not get hormonal enough to lay eggs unless they have a suitable nest site, although they'll be hormonal enough for sexy time.
3. Is there anything in the environment that might be inhibiting them? For example if you have a pet cat strolling around on the floor that might make them feel too insecure to make babies but not too insecure for sex.
4. If no eggs have been laid it's possible that the hen is infertile.
5. If eggs were laid but they were infertile it's possible that the cock is infertile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts