Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockatiel, Birdie only eats seed.

He WILL not eat anything else except millet, or peanuts.

I have tried offering him oats, veggies, fruits, birdie bread, and he just won't even try.

I am afraid he is in a "permanent molt" - which I don't know much about, except is caused due to lack of proper nutrients. He has a few large spots where feathers have not grown in since his molt in Christmas of 2006.

Since he is 9 years old and his "ways are set" I know this is going to be a difficult task, but how am I going to get him to start eating new things.

Also, for the time being, what are some types of nutrient powders, etc. that I can sprinkle in his water and food?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think there are vitamin powders that you can either sprinkle on seed or mix in water. Considering he's on an all seed diet at the moment that might be the way to go while you work on getting him to eat more. :) You can usually buy vitamin powders or drops at pet shops.

I think the important thing to remember while trying to convince Birdie to eat healthier foods is that he won't try them over night, it could take weeks and weeks. In the end it will be worth it though.

Some good veggies to try in the beginning are broccoli and grated carrot. Get a piece of broccoli and cram seed into it so he might pick at the seed and get a taste for the broccoli too. ;) Grated carrot would probably go down best with seed mixed through as well. That's how i would start.

Another thing you could do to make his diet more nutritious is sprout him some seeds. I posted instructions on sprouting seeds in this forum i think. :) They're a lot more nutritious than unsprouted seeds.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
What Bea said. I find it helps introduce new foods to mine by eating them myself with her. She's too curious not to try it. Some of them she likes, some not so much. Variety is key. Sprouted seeds are a great idea. I preffer not to use any power vitamins- they're nothing like the natural things. Try placing it differently and preparing it different. Some like veggies cooked, some like it on a plate, some like it hung on the cage and some like things raw. Keep trying- it's well worth it in the long run. Also give pellets a try. Corn is also a favorite starter veggie and parsley is also easy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought this "Vita-Sol Liquid Multivitamin - High Potency Daily Supplement" From the "8 in 1" Company.

It is this yellow liquid that I add to the water.

There was a better product next to it, on the shelf, but they expired in 01/2007. That made me so angry!

Anyways, I suppose this should do for now until I get Birdie on better food.
Also, I ordered some Beak Appetit, which is supposedly "irresistable" to birds.
Do any of you guys use that?

And I should be getting some free samples of Lafeber's "Parrot Nutri-Meals" in the mail.

I sure hope I can get him on better foods.

Also, regarding his "permanent molt", I bought some bird bath spray, also from "8 in 1".

Is "8 in 1" a good, reputable company?? I know they have many products and sell to many stores, but is it actually good quality??
It all seems kinda "cheezy" to me.
What do you guys think about this company?

Thanks for the help guys. ;)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I don't know anything about the company, so can't help you there. If your looking to try introducing pellets to Birdies diet i would try Harrisons or Roudybush, both have extremely good reputations. :)

Be careful adding stuff to the water, birds often know that something isn't right and won't drink at all. Bacteria grows faster in treated water too, so i'd be changing the water twice a day.

Beak Appetite, i would try if i could get some, but we don't have it in Australia. I've heard it's pretty good.

The permanent moult is probably related to nutrition, so once his diet improves, his feather quality probably will too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, that's why I was worried about his health...the permanent molt.

I already am changing his water twice, sometimes three times a day :D

He does like pellets sometimes. I got a free sample from my vet, and Birdie likes to pick at them.
I haven't offered them in a while, but I will today. :D

Thanks for the help :):)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Have you though about taking the seed out of his cage and replacing it with veggies. Do thing is the moring once he gets up. Then around dinner time give him back his seed as you don't want him to be hungery. He will pick at them at some point.
I wouldn't do this, morning is when they're most hungry, and if he's not eaten veggies in 9 years he probably won't eat them right away. He would be a very empty bird by the time he got his seed back. :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't be able to do it in the mornings anyways. I uncover him right before I go out the door to work.

What I could do, is when I get home at 5pm, remove his seed, and give him other foods. And give him his seed only 30 minutes before he goes to bed.
You know how they stock up in the evening?
Well my birds do so at around 7-8, and sometimes don't go to bed until 9 or 10. So I could give him fruits/veggies when I get home, then his seed at around 9pm, which is after they usually stock up. Then bed at 9:30
:):)
How does that sound?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I wouldn't remove it for anymore then 2 hours. I know mine will go a few hours without eating because they are to busy playing. I'd take it out for maybe a hour when you have time. He might try it he might not. You could also sick carrot sick between the bars. This is how i got my budgies to eat there veggies. As of right now my bunch will try anything i put infront of them. I've got pictures of when lilly first started eating carrots. Her face would go all orange and would take days to look not as bright.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts