Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Went I first brought Castiel :grey tiel:home a year ago he already had his wings clipped so I thought I would keep up the practice since he was living at my boyfriends house and he has cats. But the vet where we took Castiel to get his wings clipped, clipped them too sort and Castiel broke all his gorgeous tail feathers. (As you can see in the picture) I was so angry we never went back. The next time Cas got his wings clipped was in my home town with my trusted vet but this place is 6 hours away! Now Cas lives with me in my apartment and he is starting to fly. I'm scared to try out another Vet and I'm seriously reconsidering having his wings clipped at all! But his ability to fly makes him cheeky (he adores my brother and does not stand being parted from him and now he can just fly back onto his shoulder) and I'm worried he will misbehave more and more.

Any advice? To clip or not to clip...

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not to clip, in my opinion.
Birds are supposed to fly so I feel that if it's possible to have them flighted, they should be flighted. I know there are occasions where clipping is best but this doesn't sound like one of those occasions from what I've read. It's better for them, psychologically and physically. The exercise is great for them and prevents heaps of health problems and you can avoid some behavioural problems too.. your birds just happier usually if they can fly.
You can always train him not to immediately fly to someone's shoulder all the time, and personally I'd rather a bird who wants to do things with me than one that is only doing it because he can't fly away. Remember, he doesn't know flying to your brother is hurting your feelings, and it's not really considered "bad behaviour" necessarily, but if you don't what him to do it (and I can see why!) then you just need to teach him. Maybe make shoulders "invite only". They're smart, they'll learn.
If you do keep him flighted you'll need to be super careful about opening doors, windows, everything.. But honestly you need to worry about all that even when they're clipped because they can still fly off if the wind is up or they're freaking out enough to flap their little hearts out so it's not much difference there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I must say I don't want to clip his wings, I just worry A LOT! With my brother it's really funny as he is not a bird person but Castiel is obsessed! I find it hysterical but my brother doesn't... Any tips for training? He 'steps up' very well but I'm not sure how to train him to understand personal space... He's hand reared and super friendly

·
Registered
507 Posts
Clipping also makes him an easy target for a cat.... if he ever falls to the floor unnoticed he'll either be completely unable to escape or get worn out very fast from flapping desperately but getting no lift.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
If you want to clip--and I do think there are valid reasons for clipping some birds--you can do it yourself pretty easily, especially if there's someone else to hold him for you. I believe there's a tutorial in our sticky library. :) (I'm on mobile or I'd link it here myself, sorry.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the sticky! Will definitely check it out for future reference:) and my boyfriend and I are big Supernatural fans:) and Castiel is our little angel:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts