Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a first time bird owner and i'm always so paranoid about the health of my cockatiel, i did get him from a pet store too at about 3 months old. so now he is about 9 months, almost 10, and he's lost a ton of feathers lately--mostly little feathers, but also a little tail feather and 2 wing feathers o:

he's also been eating less, acting much needier and a little crankier than usual (he is a big baby that cries for his mommy whenever she goes to work) and looking much sleepier.

he's been much pickier about his food lately, and for a while just wouldnt eat unless there was seed. now i know its just him being picky, as he *will* eat his pellets, but he'll throw half of them out to find a little seed before he does.

these are all normal molting behaviors right?
i've tried my best to read up what i can from google but i'm still a little worried...his last vet checkup was in april and she said everything looked fine, so should i be worrying? or just keep doing what i'm doing in trying to keep his diet good and give him spray baths when hes lookin a little too dusty? or are there any tips anyone can give to make things a little easier on my baby? o:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Do you monitor his weight? If you're worried, that will be a good indicator. It's normal for birds to lose a few grams during molting because it puts a higher metabolic strain on them to grow in new feathers. But if you're seeing a bigger loss than 5-10% of total body weight, then it's time for a vet visit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you monitor his weight? If you're worried, that will be a good indicator. It's normal for birds to lose a few grams during molting because it puts a higher metabolic strain on them to grow in new feathers. But if you're seeing a bigger loss than 5-10% of total body weight, then it's time for a vet visit.
my mom says she was keeping an eye on it with our food scale, and he has stayed above 92 grams. the vet says he was 94, but every time we weigh him its at least 92, so i'm assuming that's pretty normal considering the metabolic strain and whatnot?

i'm trying to gt him to eat as much as possible, he has a love for greens so we've been giving him a little bit every week. i've heard egg is a good food for this time of year, so i might try and give him a bit of scrambled egg soon...

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
If his baseline weight is 92-94, then you don't need to worry unless he gets into the low 80s. Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to try not to treat him any differently than you would normally. I absolutely understand worrying about our birds' health, but I've learned from experience that trying to get a bird to eat more usually ends up stressing them out and having the opposite effect. So to the extent that you can, just keep being his buddy and caring for him like usual. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think the average is like 70-100 ish give or take a couple of grams here and there, it all depends on the tiel...some tiels are just really small and some are just bigger. my vet says he's a plump bird but he's not exactly larger. (which i think is pretty cute)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts