Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wouldn't normally post things like this online, but I figured that people here would understand my immense grief at Birdy-bird Rufflet's death.

She was attacked, killed, and eaten by my roommate's dogs while i was at work. When my roommate discovered her half-eaten corpse, she promptly cleaned everything up, tossed what was left of Rufflet into a dumpster behind a fast food restaurant, and then texted me saying, "im sorry for your loss."

I probably wouldn't be quite as distraught as i am if she had at least had a peaceful death. Rather than being scared, alone, and crying out for me to save her. They probably started eating her before she was dead.

About Rufflet: I rescued her from a place that bred cockatiels just for profit when she was just old enough to be put on an adult bird diet. She was skittish around people, and since I haven't raised a cockatiel before, I've been slowly & meticulously raising & taming her for almost two years. When I'd turn on the light & eat dinner lat at night, she'd chirp sleepily at me, complaining that she was trying to sleep. She had just had her first trip to the vet 2 weeks ago. She hated it and squeaked angrily at me the whole time. They said that she was a bit fat, but otherwise very healthy. I bought her a whole bunch of new food & treats & toys. The day before she was killed, she sat on my hand to eat from my palm for the first time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I can't even begin to imagine the horror and heartbreak. My heart is with you. Take some comfort in knowing she knew you love her and that she had a great life with you.

I do feel your roommate could and should have been a lot more sensitive about the situation and not just tossed her away like that.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I am so terribly sorry! I certainly understand how you feel about Rufflet's death and how insensitive your roommate was. She could at least have shown some respect and tried to bury her properly. But she is still with you in spirit and will never die in your memories. Fly free, Rufflet! :angel:

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss :frown: Rufflet was absolutely beautiful. Fly free dear Rufflet, you will be greatly missed.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Omg, I'm so sorry you and your beautiful baby had to go thru that, your room mate should of treated her remains with much more respect as well as treating you with respect. How horrifying that must of been for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am so, so sorry for your loss. For what it's worth, I would imagine she actually died very quickly. Dogs are not like cats, they do not usually play with the animal before killing it.
Of course this in no way diminishes your grief. Your roommate was probably trying to spare you the sight, but her actions were wrong and you should let her know when you feel able to discuss it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am so, so sorry for your loss. For what it's worth, I would imagine she actually died very quickly. Dogs are not like cats, they do not usually play with the animal before killing it.
Of course this in no way diminishes your grief. Your roommate was probably trying to spare you the sight, but her actions were wrong and you should let her know when you feel able to discuss it.
that actually does help a bit. I'm glad to know that she wasn't suffering for a long period of time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm kind of speechless on how... well insensitive your roommate was, I can't bear knowing a pet got trashed that way, they deserve a place to rest T _ T!

Take the time to remember that life you share with her, I'd suggest you start a small journal for her, write her story and include pictures of her, it will be hard but it may help heal as you know that she'll always be with you, and that you can cherish vivid memories of her when you read it again later on.

Also, very nice resting place for Rufflet, love the flowery scenery.

Thank you for sharing with us your pain and to tell us the companionship you had with Rufflet, it had to be very hard typing all of this as your memories scrolls of her, it always pains me to read all these posts in this section of the forum but I want to know as much stories of all our cockatiels gathered here: their young days, their life as part of the family and finally, their final flight off this world to the next... where they will be waiting for us.

Fly high, Rufflet.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of beautiful Birdy-bird Rufflet. :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
So sorry for your Loss. I can't imagine having that happen. As difficult as it is, you have the memorable times with her and she was treated like a Queen during her time with you.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Rufflet

How terrible! I am so sorry for your loss and your room mate's callousness! I can't understand how anyone could be so insensitive. I hope it helps some to know that people here care and hurt with you in your loss. Fly free, beautiful little Rufflet! (cute name! :) )

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
No words. Just **Hugs** :( I lost one of my birds to a dog (My dog) about 6-10 years ago. Never again :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts