Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My 6-7 week old weaned cockatiel has been eating seed, corn, wholemeal bread and pellets for 6 days now, but since shes seen my other two cockatiels (who don't eat seed, only pellets), shes decided she only wants pellets.
Nutritionally speaking is pellets an okay thing for her to be eating or is it vital for her to be mainly eating seed. (canary mix and lovebird mix is offered to her, she chooses pellets most of the time)

Thank you for your advice in advance.

(All cockatiels are eating other offered items, im just concerned about pellets vs. seed for the moment.)

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Birds really need a varied diet, but if she only wants to eat one thing then pellets are pretty much the best choice she could have made - (in the short term at least) since they're more nutritionally balanced than anything else. Your baby is very young and will probably start eating a bigger variety of food soon if you keep offering it to her. An all-pellet diet can be harmful in the long run so keep encouraging her to eat other things too in addition to pellets.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Birds really need a varied diet, but if she only wants to eat one thing then pellets are pretty much the best choice she could have made - (in the short term at least) since they're more nutritionally balanced than anything else. Your baby is very young and will probably start eating a bigger variety of food soon if you keep offering it to her. An all-pellet diet can be harmful in the long run so keep encouraging her to eat other things too in addition to pellets.
Thanks for the reply, :)
Shes being offered many other items as well (as are my other two) i was just wondering if she needed the seed as well, since shes preferring pellets and the other items. I was thinking maybe there were specific grains in seeds she may need, but by the sounds of things shes eating okay, thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts