Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There ...The Baby Tiel Hatched About Ten Minutes Ago ....Abbey And Apollo Being First Time Parents Haven’t Gone To Sit By The Chick Yet ....The Chick Is Chirping And Moving Around Quite A Bit But I Don’t Want It To Get Weak Or Cold...Is There Anything I Can Do To Help ???

They Both Were Having A Bathe Just Now In A Shallow Dish 🙂

Here Are Some Pics Of Mom,Dad And Baby ....I’ve Put Some Cotton Wool(The Kind You Normally Use For Hamsters) Around The Chick...Just To Try And Keep It Warm Enough While Mom And Dad Comes Around

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Your 'tiels are gorgeous and what an adorable baby, so glad it hatched! :clap: Do you have the baby in a nest box with some suitable bedding such as untreated wood shavings to keep it warm? The parents should start to feed it pretty soon I'd hope.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Vicki !!

Yes I Have The Little One In A Nesting Box Hanging In The Outside Of The Cage ...The Parents Are Still Hesitant But Did Move Into The Box With The Chick For Little While Just Now ...Chick Is About 2 Hours Old Now ....I did give it a drop of water through a syringe because I noticed it’s intestines were slightly dark ...it kinda sprung into hyper mode after that 😂

I just haven’t seen them sit on the Chick yet and that’s why I’m a little worried ..Apollo (Dad) Picked At The Chicks Yellow Down Just Now ...I Don’t Know If He Is Just Checking It Out ???

I put a little dish of veggie mash in the cage and they were both eating....I just want to be there to help if they don’t feed the Chick ....I’d really appreciate any advice on what to keep my eyes on during this very delicate phase 🙂

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vicki,I Just Saw Something ...Abbey (Mom) Was Sitting On The One Other Infertile Egg And The Chick Edged Closer To Her Chest And She Backed Up Into The Corner Of The Box Like She Was Nervous Or Something 🙈

Is This Normal ??

Will She Warm Up To Her Baby Soon Enough ??

It’s Currently 75 Deg F Here...This Chick Is Full Of Life And I Don’t Want To See It Being Rejected 🙈

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
It sounds like the parent birds don't recognize what the baby is and are afraid of it. A temperature of 75F isn't warm enough for a hatchling - they can't make their own body heat and need the parents' body heat to stay warm. Also, they can't be fed by parents who are afraid of them. At least the parents aren't attacking the chick, this does happen sometimes when they don't understand that eggs are supposed to hatch out into babies.

Feeding isn't the biggest immediate problem, because chicks can go up to 12 hours after hatch before they need to be fed. But it's vital to keep the baby warm. The baby will sense her presence and instinctively move toward her, but that isn't helpful if she keeps moving away. Is the hen tame enough that you can put your hand in the nest? If she is, you can try to cover the baby with your hand and gently slip it under her next to the egg. Maybe that will help her get the idea.

If this isn't possible, you can try using a heating pad to make it warmer inside the nest. If all else fails you can remove the baby from the parents and keep it in some type of brooder, but that means that you will also have to try to handfeed the baby from Day One. It's hard for babies to survive this way, so it's better if you can get the parents to understand that it's their job to take care of the chicks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately She Is Not Hand Reared And Therefore Gets Spooked If I Go Anywhere Near The Box ....I Need To Pull The Chick From The Nest And Keep It Warm....The Chicks Crop Has A Little Bit Of Water That I Fed It Earlier ...I’ll Need To Feed It Tonight Too...Please Can Someone Inform Me Of The Consistency And mililitres I Need To Feed ??

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Here's a video on feeding a day one chick that may be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHMPTxnsW8 It will probably be less messy if you use a smaller syringe with a narrower tip. If you get formula on the baby's fuzz you will need to clean it off while it's still wet. It's very hard to remove dried formula.

Here's another video that uses a narrower tip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg1nvuYJpDY But do NOT try to pump in a lot of food the way that this person is doing, because this is dangerous. It's normally recommended to just put one small drop at a time on the side of the beak. IMO this person is giving too much food and giving it too fast. This video is a demonstration of what not to do.

Here's a video of a day one lovebird chick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0RtKILne1U DO NOT feed a cockatiel chick while it's lying on its back. This is OK for lovebirds and budgies but not for cockatiels. But this video has a nice clear view of how much food they're giving.

The amount of food that my parent birds give to a tiny baby like this is very small, even less than what the people in the videos are doing. I don't have personal experience with feeding day one chicks, but if I had to do it then in the beginning I would give just enough to see that there was some food in the crop and gradually add more as I gained experience and confidence. If you can just give a drop or two the first time the baby will have some food and water in its system, and you can give more the next time. It's often recommended to feed 10% of body weight, but this is for older chicks and may not be appropriate for hatchlings.

The formula has to be more watery for a new baby than for an older chick. My bag of handfeeding formula recommends this schedule:

0-2 days 90% water 10% formula powder
3-7 days 85%/15%
7-21 days 80%/20%
21+ 75%/25%

This is for Hagen Tropican. Some brands like Kaytee Exact require more powder and less water to get the same thickness, so you may need to adjust. But this gives you an idea of the proportions. Use twice as much water for a tiny baby as you would for an older chick.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
It would be helpful if you can locate an experienced breeder who can raise the baby for you. If they have cockatiels with new babies, they could add your baby to the nest and the adult birds would take care of it. If you don't know any bird breeders, you could talk to an avian vet or a pet store in your area that specializes in birds to see what they recommend. Unfortunately it's very difficult even for an experienced handfeeder to successfully raise a baby from day one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also am hand raising a chick. It’s now three days old. I hatched it in an incubator. The parents laid the egg on the ground in a house I was bird sitting and when I put them back in the cage with the eggs, they didn’t show any interest. I work in (wild) bird rescue and get many babies but the youngest I’ve had was four or five days old so until this one gets to that age, I’m a nervous wreck. YouTube is your friend. I’ve watched so many videos. Also the person who runs the rescue I work with looks in on me and gives me tips and I am so lucky to have her. Good luck with your baby. Keep warm (around 99 degrees for the first few weeks until feathers comes in.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank You So Much For Your Priceless Help And Advice 🙂

I really appreciate it ...Baby Is Still Going Strong ...Is It Normal For Them To Constantly Cheep Even When Sleeping ??

Also Very Importantly ....I Haven’t Had The Chance To Get A Heating Pad ...I Currently Have The Chick Inside A Little Box Which Is Inside A Large Box ....I Have Cotton Wool And Paper Towels Inside The Little Box And Next To The Chick On The Far Side Of The Large Box I Have A Hot Water Bottle Wrapped In A Hand Towel ...I Am Refilling The Bottle With Hot Water In Between Feeds To Regulate Heat As Best As I Can ...Can I Leave The Box Completely Closed Or Should I Leave A Flap Opened On The Side For Ventilation ??

Other Than That

The Chick Is Eating Well ...I Havr Learned That At This Age I Should Feed The Chick Some Watery Formula Every Two Hours Round The Clock 🙂

Praying Everything Goes To Plan And The Chick Makes It Through To The Stronger Stages 🙂

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
If the baby is getting enough oxygen with the box closed then it's OK to leave it closed. Do you have a way to monitor the temperature inside the box? A hot water bottle doesn't maintain a steady temperature, so it would be a good to know what's going on. You don't want the baby to get overheated or chilled.

An incandescent light bulb can be used to provide steady heat, but it's very important to measure the temperature because you could easily overheat the baby if the bulb is too close. If you use a light bulb, cover the baby so it gets the heat but the light isn't shining directly on the chick.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I Should Be Able To Get A Light Bulb
Set Up....There Is One Thing I Have To Ask And I’m Not Sure If This Is Serious Or Not ....There Is Still About Half The Formula From The Previous Feed In The Crop...And The Chick Is Cheeping But Does Make A Clicking Noise Now And Then ....Please Advise If This Is Serious And What Can I Do To Help

·
Registered
46 Posts
When eating, the baby will make a quick chirping noise as it is swallowing. Sounds odd but is normal. My bird does that when I put him back in the container after feeding him like he is still looking around for food. Eventually he stops and goes to sleep. The heating is very important. Also, only give small amounts, like a pea size in his crop. Every 2 hours around the clock. Don’t over feed. I’m telling you, Watch the videos and see how it is done but don’t over feed like some do. Let me see if I can find a link for you.

https://youtu.be/jKCMurmsbL0

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
You are doing so well with the chick, I hope you can get a heat pad or a light bulb and a thermometer asap as it's vital for the chick's survival, and please keep us updated on how the little one is doing! Best of luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Everybody

I Have Come With Some Really Saddening News....The Little Chick Didn’t Make It ...After The One Feed This Morning He Seemed To Be Making A Clicking Noise And Then Straight Away I Knew The Chick Was Aspirating ....Somehow It Had Inhaled Some Formula Into The Lungs And It All Went South From There ...I Took The Poor Little Thing To My Local Vet For Consultation And The Vet Confirmed There Was Fluid In The Lungs ....He Administered A Dose Of Antibiotics And Isotone Solution...I Headed Back Home And Within The The First Hour The Chick Just Withered Away ...I Saw The Chick Take One Last Big Gulp Of Air And Seconds Later It Was Gone ....Very Disheartening But The Poor Little Thing Must Of Been Suffering And At Only Two Days Old It Wasn’t Very Strong ....Thank You All For Your Help And Advice ❤

It Is Really Useful And I Will Always Make Use Of The Knowledge Thanks To You Guys ....The Same Pair Mated Again Earlier This Evening So If All Goes Well ...They Will Take The Responsibility And Raise And Care For The Chicks Properly 🙂

RIP Little Fella,You’re Sorely Missed 💔

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. But it's very hard to successfully raise a baby from Day One, and even experienced breeders frequently lose them. You did the best you could, and I'm sure you learned a lot from it.

I think you said earlier that there was another egg. Is there any chance that this one might hatch? If there is, then please keep an eye on the situation. Otherwise, keep an eye on the situation when it's time for the next clutch to hatch. Hopefully the parents will be in the nestbox to see the egg hatch, and this might help them understand that this is supposed to happen.

You also know now that maybe they still won't understand it the next time an egg hatches, and you can be better prepared to take care of a new baby if you need to.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of the chick! :frown: Please remember to not blame yourself. As has already been said it's incredibly difficult to raise a chick from day one and you did an amazing job at caring for the baby. Sometimes these things happen! I'm so sorry. Sending hugs.

Best of luck with your breeding pair. Please keep us updated on how they are doing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank You All So Much For Your Messages ❤

I Certainly Will Be More Prepared Next Time And Know What To Do ....The Same Pair Have A New Egg In The Nestbox So I Hope All Goes Well There ...The Male Is A Normal Grey And The Hen Is A Whiteface Cinnamon ....What Colour Could Expect Their Young To Be ?? 🙂

1 - 20 of 24 Posts