Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:eek: I had a feeling this was going to happen but I didn't want to jinx myself so I kept it to myself but all the signs were there. So this morning when I woke up sure enough, Baby had just laid her egg. It's still warm so it wasn't long ago. I gotta go get them a box but right now I just layed a little towel in the corner where she want it and she's arranged it the way she wants. While she's eating, Ziggy,to my suprize went over and sat on the egg. Don't mind me..I'm just filled with mixed emotions right now. I knew they mated that one time but that was it for them-I guess that's all it took. Now we have an egg and I am wondering whether it's really their egg (fertile) or it's just her gone broody mode and laying on her own...Anyways, it's a nice hard egg too so my Baby did good. They're both sitting on my shoulder right now looking very proud and demanding head scritches. :blush: Will post pics in a minute.

EDIT: Ok..here are some pics- sorry about the quality-I was a little too excited to focus on good pics.

The first one when I first saw it...

Baby (the egg is under her)

Ziggy adjusting the egg

And both...with eggie

Now my question is should I get them a box at this point. I know they're ok as is but IF there are chicks in the future they'd need a box..Just not sure how to go about it. Ussually the box comes BEFORE the egg...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Congratulations! It must be exciting.

Were they secretly on the internet with Bea's tiels? :D Considering what Cookie and Bailey have been up to lately.

:love: Love is in the air :love:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Well I don't know whether to say congrats or Wow, I know you wanted babies but Ziggy is so young do you think its a good idea to let them breed?

·
Registered
644 Posts
How old are Ziggy & Baby?

And what is a "proper" age to consider breeding? I would imagine it's a couple of years? So, their bodies reach maturity?

Just curious.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I don't know whether to say congrats or Wow, I know you wanted babies but Ziggy is so young do you think its a good idea to let them breed?
Say both. Wow and Congrats. It's what's ran through my head.

To be honest, I think they'll be fine. He's been really good so far and even adjusted the egg and sat on it for a while. Like I said before, I am assuming he's 11 mths this month. Yes, he should be atleast a year and a half but the egg is here. If it is in fact fertile I'd feel horrible replacing it with a dud since they both seem so proud. At this point, I am not even sure if it is THEIR egg or just hers. From the way he's acting he sure thinks it's his as well. I know your thoughts on this since you mentioned it to me before, but believe me, I wouldn't hesitate replacing it with a dud if I had the slightest feeling that he wouldn't be ok. The last thing I want is Baby to do this on her own. I'm just seeing how things play out at this point so I hope you can understand, allthough you may not agree.

How old are Ziggy & Baby?

And what is a "proper" age to consider breeding? I would imagine it's a couple of years? So, their bodies reach maturity?

Just curious.

The proper age would be a year and a half, maybe even two esspecially for the female.

Ok, for everyone who is wondering.

Baby is 3 this month and Ziggy will be 1 next month. Now keep in mind I don't know their exact hatch dates but when I took them home they were both around 6 mths so I'm going by that. Baby laid a clutch of 4 *duds* last year in January. The one I'd be truly worried as far as the age would be Baby since she's the one that has to produce the eggs. The part that would worry be about Ziggy is how he'll be with the chicks so I'll be here to keep a very close eye on this BUT that's even if things get to the point. For those that don't agree, I understand and I am not exactly jumping with joy since I was planning to wait until atleast summer. Hope you can understand and still be here for us during the process.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks for the info, Aly.

It's a serious commitment which it seems that you have thought it out.

I am sure that with your attention, the birds are in good hands.

Sorry for the joking before.

Kathie

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, Aly.

It's a serious commitment which it seems that you have thought it out.

I am sure that with your attention, the birds are in good hands.

Sorry for the joking before.

Kathie

Oh, no don't be sorry. It's true. Baby and Cookie have seemed to both agree to stoop to Ziggy and Bailee's levels at the same time. :rolleyes:

I am here for them 200% so whatever happens, whatever they need, etc. Mommy is here. Thanks for understanding.:blush:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I would be careful, Ziggy seemed younger than 6 months to me when you got him, and breeding young birds (even if they're very healthy and happy) is when you'll get problems like plucking and confusion. It's ultimately your choice, but a lot of people look up to you and your opinion on these forums, and it would be irresponsible to tell them one thing (wait until they're 18mths) while doing something completely different yourself. Just my opinion...

You know Baby has laid before, so it's pretty reasonable to assume that she will lay again if you wait until Ziggy is the right age. You've got nothing to lose by waiting, but you'll gain the true confidence that at least you've done the right thing by Ziggy and let him grow up before throwing him in the deep end of fatherhood. ;)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, to whoever would like to know, here's my decision. You have to understand when I posted this thread it was 8am and I had just found out so I needed time to think it out. For those of you that helped me and talked me through this, I really appreciate the support. Really and truly, that's what this forum is suppose to be about. It's hard not to get emotional so I have been crying pretty much all day. It's raining outside so I don't think that's helping to lighten the mood. Anyways, I just needed time to think all this out so I'm sorry if I sounded hasty in the first thread.
I've been told to practice what I preach so that's what I'll be doing. I am the mom afterall so the final word is mine. Baby and Ziggy will not be keeping the eggs. They are both in perfect shape and Baby is the perfect age and would make a wonderful mom but Ziggy is not the right age yet and forcing him to basically grow up and be a daddy at this age is not something a responsible mommy would do. He has plenty of time and although something tells me he would have been ok this time, I don't want to risk anything going wrong so no eggs for them just yet.
Just to clarify, I have done everything I know to prevent it, so for anyone thinking otherwise, it's not the case. Yes, I would LOVE to have their babies one day but by no means did I rush it. They have been getting a strict 12hrs of sleep, no nestbox, limited soft foods, limited baths etc. Everything you'd do to prevent breeding.
Anyways, I'll update the thread regularly so anyone intrested in what happens with this scenerios. It's all too familiar here since Baby and me went through this last year.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought I should let you all know I walked them on them mating again (properly). I went over and opened the cage and they were still going at it so I took him off her. Nevertheless she was mad- he was just heartwinged out on my hand saying pretty baby. Typical male... Well, everything I've read said not to separate them, just don't provide conditions, which I'm not so what else? I know the, shake the eggs, move things around, move the cage around, limit soft foods and increase their night time which means more then the 12hrs they're getting now but is there anything else?
I took the one egg in the other room and shook it for about two minutes straight *didn't want them to see me*..silly I know. They have no box, but I did lay a little towel for them just because the grate can't possibly be the most comfortable thing to sit on. I did the same thing with Baby last year. Ziggy went over and is sitting on the egg and she's on my shoulder preening...

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I think Ziggy is to young as well ;) Are you going to get some fake eggs? Would it make Baby think she does not need to lay anymore if there were a full clutch of eggs on her towel?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think Ziggy is to young as well ;) Are you going to get some fake eggs? Would it make Baby think she does not need to lay anymore if there were a full clutch of eggs on her towel?
No, don't have time to get fake ones. Doesn't really work that way. She'll lay one every other day. I decided to just shake the ones she lays as she lays them. You can't suddenly add a full clutch because she'll know she didn't lay all of those. They can count. ;)

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
True :p I just heard of one lady putting lots of marbles and toys at the bottom of the cage and her female stopped laying eggs. Of course I don't think she had a male tiel as well.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That sounds really unlikely. It was probably the change of enviroment that triggered her to stop laying rather then the marbles and toys.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For anyone who's intrested, egg # two is on the way and due sometime Saturday. Probably in the morning like the last one since she's pretty on schedule.
Baby has been sitting on egg # 1 already and whenever she gets up Ziggy takes over. Whenever she's on the egg he's right by her side. My mother is mad at me and hung up on me last night because she doesn't believe what I'm doing is right (in terms of shaking the eggs). I talked to her again to explain everything and tell her why and this time she listened but she's still upset. I guess I can't please anyone. I feel terrible doing what I'm doing too and cried almost all night but I just keep telling myself it's for the best.
On another note, my mom who use to raise birds all her life (not parrots but everything from pigeons, quails, hens, geese..etc) and she mentioned something that's making this even harder. Everything I've read about candling eggs says people ussually candle around day 4-5 etc to check to see if it's fertile -that's after incubation. She told me that's not true and you can tell from day one. Basically she said if the seed is there from day one it's fertile-it just doesn't grow until incubation. The way she explained it is : the larger end of the egg is where the air sack should be and right in the middle there should be a black/brown spot the side of a pea. On the smaller end is where the yolk is and at at first it takes up 3/4 of the egg (the other being the airsack). She said they used this method for years without fail. Anyways, I candled Baby's unfertile eggs last year just to practice and there was never a spot like that in them. Just the airsack and yolk was visible. Like I said, this is making it even harder because I checked this egg and the spot is there. I already shook it though so if there was anything there it's dead now. I've been reading everything I possibly can although it's all the same info just in a different place. I even went to the library this morning.Sorry for writing this big long story, just going through a hard time right now. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Sorry to hear you are going through a stressful time right now. I think you have made the best choice, with Ziggy not being old enough. Well, he may be old enough, but perhaps not mature enough. I think of it like a 15 y/o human having a baby. You never know what they can do to completely destroy the breeding. Although you think that Ziggy won't so these things, you never know. Males do not have such a demanding job as females, as you very well know. But breeding too young, as Bea said can have it's effects. Also I've heard through books and internet that changing the cage location or rearrange the cage furnishings helps prevent breeding/laying eggs because the hen is less likely to lay in an environment that has changed throughout the laying period. Just a tip. Just to say again, you've made the right choice, for you and Baby & Ziggy. ;)

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
It must be really hard for you to shake them :( Just think of this as a practice run for Baby and Ziggy. And when the time is right, they will have learned something and be old enough (Ziggy) to be parents :)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Oh aly. i know myself i wouldn't be able to shake them. As horrible as it sound your are making the right choice. Ziggy is a little on the young side. I think i'd just wait till ziggy is old enough and let them go for it.

I've herd, even if you shake the eggs one may just hatch. You never know. Only real good possible way to stop it would be to boil the egg. Don't know if there is truth behind it though.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for replying guys, I appreciate the support. I wasn't going to even bother updating the thread but I decided to go ahead and try. I know this is going against the grain but I have decided not to shake the rest of the eggs and to let them have this clutch. Everything I've seen tells me they'll do good and I have faith in that. It's hard to explain and most, if any won't agree but that's ok. In the end, I'm the one that has to be here and care for them and like you know your tiels best, I know mine best. My mom came over earlier and we went to the store to get them a box. They've settled in really nicely *and fast*...Baby's sitting on the first egg and Ziggy doesn't leave her side. He sits outside of the box helping her chew the entry at times and delighting her? with his lovely songs. I'll post some pics and keep the thread updated for anyone who wants to know how things are going.
Just wanted to add this was by no means an easy decision but I really believe I made the right one for my tiels.
Thanks again for reading my long and boring story.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.