Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry long story short we went out of town and had a very good close sitter who has been amazing with our 2 tiels, 2 budgies, 2 bearded dragons 1 chinese water dragon and 2 cate. She stays at our house ant they are very WELL taken care of.
Today we came home and noticed Baby had about 5 long feathers in her cage and figured she was molting since she is 6 months old now. After a little bit I noticed dried blood on her wing and worried me so we checked it out and noticed it looked kind of painful. I have been giving her tons of love and been babying her sooooo much because it looks so bad.

Seriously to me it looks bad bad bad/ Is it as bad as I'm really thinking?
I love this little girl soooooooooooooooo much I hate that this happened and don't know what to do for her.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
It does look pretty bad. To me it looks like she got her wing caught in the bars of her cage, perhaps during a night fright. For now I'd try to keep the area as clean as possible, and if it starts to look worse/looks like it isn't healing properly, take her to your avian vet. The feathers may or may not grow back, depending on how damaged the follicles are. All going well though, you should see some pinnies soon. All the best for Baby and I hope her injury heals on it's own. :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think she needs to see a vet because it looks like the skin on the tip of her wing is pretty torn up. Most likely it will just heal and the feathers will grow back over a few weeks, but it's probably very painful right now and there's a risk of infection from breaking the skin. My bird had an injury like that last fall, and my vet put her on antibiotics and a pain med.

Is Baby able to move her wing and hold it against her body like normal? There's also a slight possibility of dislocation with that type of injury because usually the feather loss is from getting the tip of the wing caught in the cage bars.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
That's good. I think I would still take her to the vet, if only to ask for pain meds. But you know the situation better than I do, and a wait and see approach is also a viable option.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same thing happened to Zappy a couple of months ago. I took him to the vet and got him some antibiotics because I was afraid of infection. The vet also picked out a couple of feather fragments that I didn't even notice that could have easily started to bleed again. If I were you, I would take her to the vet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So we are taking her to the vet in an hour. Today she has been acting like she is in pain. She wants love but if you go near her wing she tries to warn bite. It started bleeding a little but stopped. They are fitting us in in between appts so we will have a long wait she said but most important is they will see her. I might give her some rescue remedy for pets before we leave the vet recommended it for all our birds has anyone else use it and it worked for stress? On a side note she is very vocal today and making her monkey noises

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Were here at the vet and she tried to get to me and broke a flight feather and was bleeding so they took her out to stop the bleeding and I can hear her throwing a fit. I'm so stressed out right now I hate hearing her screetching and there isn't anything I can do for her. Will she hate me for this?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Nah, they're very forgiving. She might be grumpy for a bit but cockatiels rarely hold grudges. Plus, since it's the vet doing the big mean things to her, she might even look to you for extra comfort.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Zappy eventually just wanted cuddles after his vet visits (all 5 of them in the last year). BUT, she will probably be very tired, especially if she was struggling. Don't be surprised if she sleeps for awhile today. It's too bad they didn't let you come with her. My vet always has me in the room with Zappy so he's more comfortable and has a sort of home base in between plucking any broken feathers.

I'll be praying for her!

·
Registered
334 Posts
That really is horrible when the vets take your bird away and they are calling for you ! I really feel for you, I had that with Maxi and it was awful hearing her calling (and then in pain but that's another story!!). Afterwards she just wanted to be on my shoulder and get scritches, no grudge she just wanted reassurance -- so I am sure your birdy will just be looking to you for some love and comfort !

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. The visit was just horrible for her, first thing she tried to fly to me and fell and she broke a blood feather on her wing. The vet ended up taking her back again and had to pull the flight feather on her good wing. As soon as he brought her back she went for me again and started bleeding all over again. Finally got the bleeding to stop and she was fine. Her wing that was hurt in the first place was fine he said she would heal just fine. He also said both wings were bruised which I have no idea how that happened she must have had a really bad night fright and our sitter was asleep and didn't hear it. I am sad though because I need to keep her caged a lot of the day for now so she doesn't try to fly off. I'm really missing my girl.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww, poor Baby. I'm sending some good thoughts your way and am hoping that she recovers well so you can have your sweet Baby back. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts