Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Baby, or Artemis as s/he is named now, is just barely weaned, I started hearing strange chirps again...
"This can't be right, they can't still be feeding her?" I thought...well they aren't!
THERE ARE 4! FOUR!!! hatchlings in the nest! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!
These birds, that have never before in the 5 years that I have known them, raised even 1 baby are now up to 4 Hatchlings and a weanling in 6 months?!
The youngest seems to be about 1 day old, there's one egg left, and with my luck that will hatch too... how do I stop this from continuing?
I am honestly starting to worry for the mothers health.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
So it's completely normal for a pair to double clutch, which is what has happened here. The best thing to do is wait until these babies are closer to a month or so old and start disrupting the environment. Move the cage, remove the nest box once the babies leave it, start them back up on longer nights, that sort of thing. Once the babies are leaving the box they'll be fine without it and it will get the parents out of baby making mode.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thank goodness!
I couldn't really find info when I did a quick search on this last night.
The fact that only Artemis hatched from the first batch of eggs, and then suddenly there were 4, threw me quite off my game.
But that's what assuming does, making and *** out of me :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts