Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whew finally can post on here, really need help.
:wf cinnamon: So I got little Chu here 2 days ago he is 3-4 weeks old so am hand feeding him. There are some question I like to ask about his/her behaviors as am really concern.

1. He is constantly screeching even after I feed him
( I feed him 3 times a day)

2. I use a syringe with a long tube stick to the end as the old caretaker said food might get into his lungs or something.

- as for now this is my 4th time feeding him and I took the long tube out since many people has said it's not really good for him and it seems like Chu liked it more when am not poking a rubber stick into his neck.

3. he is shivering and always I mean always in the same spot in his cage. he doesn't move at all. is this normal?

4. can I play with him? can I let him walk around on my bed? I really want to make a bond with him but I don't know how to act.

5.is my set up correct?

sorry for the bad English is not my main languege
Picture is coming

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

the black egg thing is a hepa air filter
am not sure if the heating lamp is okay I have my air con at 26degree Celsius

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
are you sure he is not scare of me ?
If he is scared of you he will hiss, run away and cower, I do believe if he is shivering he is cold, if he wasn't by himself and had clutch mates to cuddle with he could keep pretty warm but he isn't fully feathered and not capable of keeping himself warm enough, chilling can cause slow/sour crop.
Here is a temp chart, he should be kept at age appropriate temps...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If he is scared of you he will hiss, run away and cower, I do believe if he is shivering he is cold, if he wasn't by himself and had clutch mates to cuddle with he could keep pretty warm but he isn't fully feathered and not capable of keeping himself warm enough, chilling can cause slow/sour crop.
Here is a temp chart, he should be kept at age appropriate temps...
Thankyou very much parrotletsrock! btw do you know why he kept screeching after I feed him? I tried feeling his crop and it's somewhat full so I don't know if he's still hungry or something

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thankyou very much parrotletsrock! btw do you know why he kept screeching after I feed him? I tried feeling his crop and it's somewhat full so I don't know if he's still hungry or something
Is he emptying well between feedings? At his age he may still be needing 4 feeds a day not 3, but if he isn't emptying well he may have other problems... but he may just want some cuddles and sooking, he is all alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is he emptying well between feedings? At his age he may still be needing 4 feeds a day not 3, but if he isn't emptying well he may have other problems... but he may just want some cuddles and sooking, he is all alone.
so I can cuddle and play with him at this age right? he's about 18 days old
the old caretaker said 3 meals is enough now am unsure

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Yes you can cuddle with him and play with him. He needs the attention because he is all alone.

His crop needs to empty completely between each feed. How many cc's are you feeding him and how much does he weigh? You need to weigh him every day, at the same time, preferably with an empty crop.

My question is, why was he given to you so early? This is not usually done and not very good for the baby himself. They really need to be with the parents for as long as possible.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
As Roxy said, yes you can cuddle him for 10-15 minutes at a time after he is fed and happy. Make sure he is warm and does not get chilled. Do not over handle him and tire him out. Mostly I just hold and pet mine while I talk to them, give them head rubs and chin scratches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts