Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There

I'm Carol the proud owner of a nine week old hand-reared baby cockatiel. I just got him on Friday and we brought him home after a four hour journey in the car. He's settling in well chirping, whistling, sitting on my finger and letting me stroke him.

However I'm a bit worried about his wing. He has one feather that looks as if it's about to come out (the bottom one) and the one above it, looks as if the tip is damaged. I haven't found any feathers and he isn't bleeding. When I looked on the internet it talked about blood feathers being damaged. But he isn't bleeding and he isn't in any pain. He's flying about, preening, eating and drinking ok.

I had a lovebird before and sometimes he'd have a stick out feather then the next day it would fall out or he would pull it out himself. Is it the same with cockatiels?

Thanks

Carol

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi Carol, welcome to the group! My JoJo used to do the same thing- usually a wing or tailfeather...it would kind of stick out for a day or two, and pretty soon it was laying on the bottom of the cage. He would usually pull it out himself, once in a while it just dropped off. I don't think I would worry about it.
Congratulations on your new fid :) You need to post a pic so we can see the little guy.
I am picking up my new little one Wednesday (the 17th) CAN'T WAIT!!! My JoJo recently passed away in April and I miss him so much, but my breeder had a clutch that was just hatching, and of course I wanted one. It will help my heart I think.
Anyway, welcome! You will meet lots of great and very knowledgeable people here.
What is your baby's name?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Everyone

Tash - thanks for your reply. I posted a picture it (it was a bit difficult because he kept moving). I gave him a bath today - at one point it looked ok, but it started to stick out again. I think it is actually just about to come out as it's now hanging quite low.

Paula - thanks for your reply. I think that is probably all it is. Sorry to hear about your little one. I lost my Regi, a hand-reared lovebird in November of 2013. But it feels really nice to have a bird back in my life. His name is Sunny. I'II post a proper picture of him (not just his back later). Thanks for the great welcome. It's really nice to meet other people who love birds as much as I do.

Thanks

Carol

·
Registered
786 Posts
Good thing! Give him a scritch for me :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
He's more grey that black (I think it's just the lighting). He's a regular grey but he's hand-reared and is settling in well and already his personality is coming out. Here he is posing by his parrot stand.
. I'm not really very good yet at taking his picture as he moves so quickly. I'II try to get a picture of his face tomorrow it's really cute - he's got quite a lot of yellow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts