Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Im new here and i dont know how active this forum is, but after looking around i found this info.

Some tiels are smaller than others, is his keel bone sticking out? His keel bone is on his chest and will look the a sharp protrusion if he is too skinny. I weigh Spike in the morning before he eats, the scale is set to grams. I recommend weighing birds to keep an eye on their health, if they lose more than 10% of their normal body weight than a vet visit is a good idea. 78-125 grams is what a healthy adult cockatiel should weigh

I dont know if that is what happened, just thought i would share my findings

· Registered
2 Posts
Im new here and i dont know how active this forum is, but after looking around i found this info. Some tiels are smaller than others, is his keel bone sticking out? His keel bone is on his chest and will look the a sharp protrusion if he is too skinny. I weigh Spike in the morning before he eats, the scale is set to grams. I recommend weighing birds to keep an eye on their health, if they lose more than 10% of their normal body weight than a vet visit is a good idea. 78-125 grams is what a healthy adult cockatiel should weigh I dont know if that is what happened, just thought i would share my findings
I’m so sorry 😢 for your loss. Right now my daughter is taking care her baby cockatoo the egg hatches this morning and she have learning quickly how to take care the baby .

· Registered
2 Posts
I’m so sorry 😢 for your loss. Right now my daughter is taking care of her baby cockatoo the egg hatches this morning and she has learned quickly how to take care of the baby.
But if anyone here has that experience please share it with me. We need to rescue the baby.
The parents need to get a special diet for sure.
What’s the best diet for them and how fast I can trust them to feed the baby

· Registered
4 Posts
This can't be normal , I had him for 1 night. The next day he was dead. Can anyone please give me their thoughts on why his chest looks like this ? View attachment 96283
View attachment 96283
I'm so sorry 😭 I also am not an expert but I've had birds over 20 years and a couple cockatiels. The birds Kiel looks to be really sticking out and he looks way to thin. If this happened to me what I think is this bird has a lot of poop on his lower feathers and he's thin. Looks like poor thing has had diarrhea for some time I think this poor birdie has been sick either wasn't eating or his food went right through him. Were his poops loose ? Any undigested seeds ? The color of his poops can help you possibly determine what was wrong with him. I don't know who you got him from but if they have more birds those could be sick also. Did he have bright eyes or did his eyes look sleepy that's a sign of dehydration. That will kill also. My niece had a beautiful dove who she found dead just to days ago she also has no idea why. Birds can mask illness well. Again so sorry for your loss 😢
Im new here and i dont know how active this forum is, but after looking around i found this info.

Some tiels are smaller than others, is his keel bone sticking out? His keel bone is on his chest and will look the a sharp protrusion if he is too skinny. I weigh Spike in the morning before he eats, the scale is set to grams. I recommend weighing birds to keep an eye on their health, if they lose more than 10% of their normal body weight than a vet visit is a good idea. 78-125 grams is what a healthy adult cockatiel should weigh

I'm so sorry 😭 I also am not an expert but I've had birds over 20 years and a couple cockatiels. The birds Kiel looks to be really sticking out and he looks way to thin. If this happened to me what I think is this bird has a lot of poop on his lower feathers and he's thin. Looks like poor thing has had diarrhea for some time I think this poor birdie has been sick either wasn't eating or his food went right through him. Were his poops loose ? Any undigested seeds ? The color of his poops can help you possibly determine what was wrong with him. I don't know who you got him from but if they have more birds those could be sick also. Did he have bright eyes or did his eyes look sleepy that's a sign of dehydration. That will kill also. My niece had a beautiful dove who she found dead just to days ago she also has no idea why. Birds can mask illness well. Again so sorry for your loss 😢

· Registered
7 Posts
This can't be normal , I had him for 1 night. The next day he was dead. Can anyone please give me their thoughts on why his chest looks like this ? View attachment 96283
View attachment 96283
So sorry for your loss! It looks like his chest bone is sticking out, he was probably under weight and the stress of the move was too much. 💔

· Registered
45 Posts
View attachment 96283
View attachment 96283
He looks very thin. You only had him one night so do not think this in any way is your fault.

· Registered
20 Posts
View attachment 96283
He is extremely thin and underweight. It also looks like he has been having diarrhea. It looks like there is a lot of stool on the feathers near the vent and underside of his tail. This does not happen in one day. I'm sorry you had to go through this. He was ill long before you got him. 😞

· Registered
12 Posts

Whoever you got him from you need to alert animal control because they could have more birds in danger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts