Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a common problem, especially around this age (4-5 weeks). I'm just so worried they're not getting enough food. They never want to eat formula, so I have to hold them firmly and give them the food. They eat it a bit, but continue to struggle a lot. I can never get them to eat it all though and most of it ends up going to waste... I'm going to try to feed them less at a time, but more times a day. They eat millet, but haven't tried anything else so far. To make things worse, my scale doesn't work anymore for some reason (though it's brand new) so I can't keep track of their weight like I want (going to get a new one ASAP). I'm so worried I'm gonna do something wrong and they'll get sick or die :( They seem very happy and active, but I wish they'd eat more.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Try going back to smaller meals but add an extra one back in... They go thru this I don't want to eat stage while they slim down for flying... Some times it helps to let them play and fly first then feed.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yeah, I had the best success letting my babies fly around for a while before meals (plus it's safer as a baby should never be allowed to fly with a full crop). Also feeding less and more often is a very good idea, I did that too. I know it feels like a lot of food is being wasted, but you'll get used to that feeling lol.

You can try offering them some scrambled egg, too. My babies went nuts for that and it's a good source of protein.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I try to monitor the forumla and keep it between 104-106f. They accepted it a bit more today. Will feed again in a few hours and will also offer more fruit. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts