Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so slack about cutting up different veggies each day, so more often or not my guys will only get a small variety of things throughout the week (broccoli, bok choy, carrot, rice mix, peas), so i went in search of easy ways to feed greater variety and someone suggested this!

Seven Layer Salad

You make it once a week and it keeps in the fridge for seven days! :D Every single day you can easily offer a wide variety of foods, and you can change it up however you like from week to week! How easy is that!! :excited: I will be making my first batch tonight, ready for birdy breakfast in the morning.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best thing about it is that they're getting lots of raw veggies which are higher in nutrients than if you cook them. :D I'll let you know how it goes with them in the morning. I might have to leave the beans out for this first batch because they require 12hrs soaking, but i'm sure they won't mind too much.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Yeah you will be making it before me :D I don't have some of the stuff listed so I will have to do some shopping, I would love to hear how it goes with your guys so far my guys have been pretty good about trying new things but they are not big on the fruit and I have tried a few, haven't tried oranges though.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guys aren't big on fruit either, but apparently in a mix like this more things get tried, and it's easier to sneak new foods in too. We'll see! :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made up a couple of take away containers of seven layer salad just now! :D I'll let you know how it goes down after breakfast tomorrow. Hopefully garbage guts Sunny will get the tiels into it, and Fizzy has to investigate anything that can be thrown all over the floor, so my chances are high i think. :p By the end of the week, if no one likes it, then i'm sure my lovely little garbage disposal units in the aviary will scoff the lot. :lol:

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
our local grocery store sells already made 7 layer salad, all you gotta do is put it in the plastic take out container and pay for it

my boyfriend gets it every now and then for him and my kids * i don't like it too much stuff i dont like is in it and its too hard to pick it all out) lol

ours is lettuce,brocholi or how ever its spelled, cauliflower,peas,carrot and some other veggies i cant rememeber now

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does it have all the beans and pasta and fruit? The appeal of the birdy seven layer salad is the nutritional variety it offers, and because of the order it's placed in the container it preserves itself well! :)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Sounds like a good idea.
I agree 100% with this statment.
The longer I work with birds, both my own and those of my consulting clients, the stronger grows my belief that many behavior and health problems are a direct result of poor diet. However, certain health problems are emerging in parrots who eat either a 100% pelleted diet, or a diet devoid of fresh foods.

I'll give it a go and see how it works out. I try to give mine as much stuff raw as possible and they are very into fresh foods with I love. Let us know how it went Bea.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i served up three dishes today, and all three have been sampled. Blinkie went straight to it, but then he would because he's got a bit of a "sweet beak" and likes the fruity bits. :p Sunny ran straight to his and Banjo's bowl and started picking out the carrot bits. I knew i could rely on him to try something new! And Cookie was the first to try things out in my tiel cage, and she was over joyed to find a piece of corn and then some peas.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update, they've been served this salad three days in a row now, and this morning i went out to a friends house, and when i came home i found an empty veggie bowl in each cage. :D It's a definite hit so i'll be making it each week.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thats great! Bea, you do find some pretty interesting things. I shall definately be making that.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today i opened and mixed the second tub i made, and was amazed to find it as fresh as if i had just made it up! :D The layers are definitely well thought out. Once you mix everything up it keeps for three days, so making two tubs a week works well.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has any one else tried this yet? I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now and don't think i'll ever stop. :lol:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I have been dying to try it I know my piggies would probably love it :D but I haven't been able to find the bean soup mix I have been to two major grocery stores in my area with no luck :( I am still searching

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't use the bean mix, i haven't been able to find it either. It works just as well without them. :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts