Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, me again! So after some of you lovely people notifying me of the dangers of the "bird bath spray" I had used and now thankfully STOPPED using.

Now I'm back for a multivitamin question. It's called Avitron. I just picked it up today and felt like it'd be a good idea to bulk up my boys' immune systems before winter came and also to make sure they're getting all the nutrients they need. Anyhow, I haven't really found anything bad about it but I want to cover all of my bases before I give it to my birds. So a little help would be VERY much appreciated (as always) :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I wouldn't give it...a multivitamin could overload their systems with all those excess vitamins which could hurt them. Are they on pellets? If so they don't need the multivitamins. If you want to boost their immune system sprinkle some garlic powder on their food daily, its a natural immune system booster.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I just wanted to chime in here Roxy and say thanks for that, i never knew that :O

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Its part of the spice remedy that srtiels made up and its also recommended to give to chickens as well. Its natural and wont hurt any of their organs. Your welcome guys!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Garlic powder? The stuff in the spice isle at the store? Awesome thank you :)
No they they aren't on pellets. I give them cockateil blend bird seed.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Pellets would also be a good source of vitamins and healthy stuff. You can just stick a bowl of pellets in the cage and wait for them to take an interest. OR, you can try nutriberries, which are the same nutrient content as pellets but look like seeds.

The problem with adding vitamins to the water, is first off some tiels wont drink their water if it tastes different. Also, there's no way to give an exact dosage that way and you have to change the water twice a day. Its just easier to offer different foods to get them to get all they need.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks for the info, Roxy.

My local 99 cent store sells spices. I was wary of them at first until I read the label and found they're made in California.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Roxy!!

Also, I looked up the garlic powder (just to double check to put my mind at ease) and quite a few different sites say that garlic An onion can cause hemolytic anemia in birds after using it a lot, but can immediately cause vomiting and diarrhea. I'm confused unless these sources aren't right.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Onions are a no no for birds...garlic powder or a clove of garlic is completely different then an onion. I use it regularly with my tiels and haven't any issues at all.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Be careful to get garlic POWDER not garlic SALT.

Garlic is controversial, but the most reliable-looking opinions that I've seen say that small amounts are OK once in a while. The "garlic is dangerous" opinion apparently came from an incident where some idiot shoved a whole garlic clove down a cockatoo's throat and the bird died.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Garlic is controversial, but the most reliable-looking opinions that I've seen say that small amounts are OK once in a while. The "garlic is dangerous" opinion apparently came from an incident where some idiot shoved a whole garlic clove down a cockatoo's throat and the bird died.
Which of course had nothing to do with the garlic itself, poor bird.

Its actually been recommended to me to place a garlic clove in the breeding cage during breeding season as the parents will nibble on it when they feel they need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts