Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have experience with them? how did your bird get used to yours? worth it? did your bird hate it? was ot worth extra for this harness? and what size do i get for a tiel a x small?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I think im getting my aviator tommorow I think its only worth it if your bird allows u to put it on which i know rocko will he lets me hold his wings and stuff so shouldnt be hard just let your bird get used to it being near him first then maybe start hanging it on his neck and then try get his wings through just work at it slowly and he will get used to it

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine wouldn't let me put them in a harness and they were both hand reared. It depends on your bird. One of mine is very hands off, she only wants you to touch her if she's in the mood for it otherwise she'll give you lots of pecks (they don't hurt its more like warnings). She's never get in a harness. The other might but it'd take a lot of training.
You shouldn't assume putting your bird in a harness will be easy just because it's tame. for most people it's really difficult, birds don't usually like being strapped into something. It's awesome rocko is so easy with it though, Brandon!
I've heard the actual lead part of it is quite thin and people worry it might get chewed through leaving the bird to fly away. Not sure if that's actually a realistic issue though, You would think they'd probably make sure a beak couldn't get through it easily before selling it but then again a lot of unsafe products are sold for birds so I don't know.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Mine wouldn't let me put them in a harness and they were both hand reared. It depends on your bird. One of mine is very hands off, she only wants you to touch her if she's in the mood for it otherwise she'll give you lots of pecks (they don't hurt its more like warnings). She's never get in a harness. The other might but it'd take a lot of training.
You shouldn't assume putting your bird in a harness will be easy just because it's tame. for most people it's really difficult, birds don't usually like being strapped into something. It's awesome rocko is so easy with it though, Brandon!
I've heard the actual lead part of it is quite thin and people worry it might get chewed through leaving the bird to fly away. Not sure if that's actually a realistic issue though, You would think they'd probably make sure a beak couldn't get through it easily before selling it but then again a lot of unsafe products are sold for birds so I don't know.
I think its thin so its lighter for the bird Rocko dosent usually chew on things so I dont think he would and i think u would notice very quickly if they were because u be outside having fun with them and keeping an eye on them anyways im gonna test it out in my house first and since rocko will probably just let it get put on him I have to get him used to it first

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Brandon how u like your worth it? ,rocko like it? ,and is it. Strong
I only got mine today look at the photos on my thread it was so worth the money Rocko seemed to like it after he was done biting on it lol and I know it saids to get the size petite for cockatiels but i would recommend the size X-Small thats what i got for Rocko and it fits fine dosent come loose and its strong if the bird is biting at it i seen lots of people were saying the petite was too tight on their teils and the collar could bearly fit over their heads anyways I would Definetely suggest the X-Small My harness cost €30.00 I also got him a clicker and a natural perch to trim his nails down soon i will start clicker training.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
anyone have experience with them? how did your bird get used to yours? worth it? did your bird hate it? was ot worth extra for this harness? and what size do i get for a tiel a x small?
1. I just let Rocko be around it and lay it over him and stuff just let him know it wont hurt him

2 Definitely worth the money especially the fun u will have outside.
3. He hate it at first but hes doing alright now.
4. I dont know what u mean by was it worth extra.
5. I got Rocko a X-Small the petite size is the one for cockatiels so it saids on the box but some people have said the petite was too small and tight but the X-small fits great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts