Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think you mean a symptom, not a cause. And yes, but these symptoms fit many GI problems, not just AGY/megabacteria.
yea i meant a symptom sorry, im currently treating my birds for mega :/ i took my tiels and budgies to a vet and they diagnosed them with mega/agy and told me to treat them using sodium benzoate in their drinking water

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i meant a symptom sorry, im currently treating my birds for mega :/ i took my tiels and budgies to a vet and they diagnosed them with mega/agy and told me to treat them using sodium benzoate in their drinking water
Was this an avian vet that you saw? And how did they diagnose AGY? This sounds like an odd way to treat it to me. As far as I know, AGY requires a pretty potent antifungal, usually fluconazole or amphotericin B.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Was this an avian vet that you saw? And how did they diagnose AGY? This sounds like an odd way to treat it to me. As far as I know, AGY requires a pretty potent antifungal, usually fluconazole or amphotericin B.

it was a noraml vet, he did a blood test and also with the droppings, he prescribed to me the meds their, he said that sodium benzoate has been used by various vets to treat mega and its fairly new out their to be used as something to treat birds, i checked online and found an article that says yes it has been used to treat mega, in the case that the pet owner cant afford to treat his/her pets with megabac-s its an alternative option, i also read on another cite that apple cider vinegar with mother can be used and that it adds many more minerals to the birds system

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was a noraml vet, he did a blood test and also with the droppings, he prescribed to me the meds their, he said that sodium benzoate has been used by various vets to treat mega and its fairly new out their to be used as something to treat birds, i checked online and found an article that says yes it has been used to treat mega, in the case that the pet owner cant afford to treat his/her pets with megabac-s its an alternative option, i also read on another cite that apple cider vinegar with mother can be used and that it adds many more minerals to the birds system
Did your birds have symptoms? I have read that there is a fairly high rate of false positives for AGY, especially in budgies. They can test positive and never actually be ill.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did your birds have symptoms? I have read that there is a fairly high rate of false positives for AGY, especially in budgies. They can test positive and never actually be ill.
yes they did, i lost two birds prior to getting them all diagnosed they where starting to all go light weight, yea ive read also that all birds are carriers just that some develop AGY faster than others due to their immune system, stress, or any other illness that they might have that leads to this

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes they did, i lost two birds prior to getting them all diagnosed they where starting to all go light weight, yea ive read also that all birds are carriers just that some develop AGY faster than others due to their immune system, stress, or any other illness that they might have that leads to this
Okay. Sounds like you've done a good job with your research. :) Just wanted to make sure you weren't being misinformed.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made this into its own thread since I'm the one who made this into a discussion, and I also think it could be a good reference in the future. :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'll keep it going...what are the common symptoms Michelle?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately it's one of those things that has pretty vague symptoms.

But, generally GI-type upset symptoms. Unexplained weight loss is a big one (which is how I originally ended up reading about it). Birds may eat ravenously but lose weight anyway; some also seem to have difficulty swallowing, and may revert to "baby" feeding behaviors like begging. There may also be vomiting (typically undigested seed with mucous), and changes in the droppings (undigested seeds are a big red flat here too). And then there are less specific symptoms you'd see with any illness, like weakness and lethargy.

I believe in some birds there may also be behavioral signs, like feather plucking in the vicinity of the crop.

Clinical findings are pretty similar to PDD, and there's usually a differential diagnosis between the two, from what I've read. Keep in mind, I have no personal experience with this other than that my vet suspected it in one of my birds who turned out to have a bacterial enteritis instead.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1. It should also be noted that while AGY is commonly referred to as "megabacteria," and was originally named this because it appeared to be a form of large bacteria, this is not a bacterial infection. It is fungal, and will need to be treated with antifungal medications. Treatment with antibiotics in a case of true AGY will only make things worse.

2. This is not the same as infection with candidiasis/regular yeast, and can't be treated with more common/benign options like Nystatin or apple cider vinegar.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I've always wondered what Ava passed away from...i was uneducated about diseases when we got her and she left us less than a month after we took her home. She would eat and eat and eat so we would joke about her being a "fat" bird but it turned out she was really super skinny. I just thought she was a light bird. :( what i would've done for her if i had only known..

AGY sounds like it could be a possibility for her death...it does and doesn't sound like her. But then there are sooo many other diseases with the same symptoms.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It could be, but any infection that puts a strain on the bird's metabolism could produce that symptom.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Hmm, I wander...if they don't do a any tests on the crop during a necropsy they wouldn't pick this up would they? So in all reality, my birds could've had this? Just thinking because both Cinnamon and Shredder had some of the symptoms (weight-loss and vomiting) before passing. Cupcake also had the weight-loss but we never had any vomiting with her. Thinking that may have been the reason that they really didn't find anything in the necropsies?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Ah OK that makes sense.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've always wondered what Ava passed away from...i was uneducated about diseases when we got her and she left us less than a month after we took her home. She would eat and eat and eat so we would joke about her being a "fat" bird but it turned out she was really super skinny. I just thought she was a light bird. :( what i would've done for her if i had only known..

AGY sounds like it could be a possibility for her death...it does and doesn't sound like her. But then there are sooo many other diseases with the same symptoms.
So is it a bad sign if your bird eats a lot? My bird tends to eat a lot, but I thought that that was a healthy thing to do! :\

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So is it a bad sign if your bird eats a lot? My bird tends to eat a lot, but I thought that that was a healthy thing to do! :\
No, it's only a problem if they eat excessively (and we're talking EXCESSIVELY, not normal piggy 'tiel behavior) AND lose weight. So if your bird eats a lot but is maintaining a healthy weight, then I'd say her intake is just what she needs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts