Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a few questions about the Avian Fashions Hoodie (http://www.flightquarters.com/bird-diapers/category/jr-style-hoodies-for-smaller-birds.html)

1. I live in Arizona, so obviously I wouldn't put it on him during the day in the summer, but for the rest of the year (particularly winter) I'm not sure if it's necessary? Kirby goes on events for my rescue and is outside in the wind and it can sometimes get cold. I'm not sure if this would adequately warm him up, though, or if it may even warm him up too much (our winters get into the 40's and upper 30's at the lowest).

2. I have a flightsuit and a harness for him. I had to get the flightsuit because he chews incessantly on the buckle of his harness and I'm worried about him breaking through it (the fabric strap beneath the buckle has become frayed). But, the flightsuit is bulkier and he doesn't balance as well in it as the harness. So, the harness is for bike rides and events, while the flightsuit is for car rides, working, and going out in public. What I was thinking was that the hoodie is not a flightsuit, it simply pulls over. I saw a video of someone who had it on their cockatoo, and when she removed the hoodie from the cockatoo it had the harness on underneath. Could it be used this way to stop Kirby from chewing on his harness during events (events are not done in the summer, only when it is cool enough for the birds)?

3. Finally, I'm confused about the size I should get if I should get one. The sizing chart (supposedly applicable for all items on the site) says that cockatiels are 'medium', but on the website the cockatiels are displaying the small and junior sized hoodies. Does anyone have any experience here? The medium style hoodie would be better for me, personally, because I would worry about Kirby chewing on the buttons the way he chews on his harness, rendering the hoodie half useless.

Also, just because I know some people might say this, I am not considering this because it is 'cute'. I only think of the fact that one day, in February, I took Kirby to an event and had to constantly shift him in and out of the shade; in the shade he shivered and in direct sunlight he panted. And I also think of him chewing up his harness. I would not pay 30 some dollars for something that is 'cute' and that he likely will not appreciate. I am thinking only of his outdoor safety.

Thank you all in advance

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I don't think any of us here have ever gotten one of these, I know I haven't. I don't really see them a necessary. If it's too cold to take Kirby somewhere, if it were me, I'd rather not take him. I don't really see this as being a help when it comes to being cold, as protecting them from direct wind or chill is really the only way that would work.

Now keeping him from chewing the harness is another thing entirely! It definitely would work to keep him from getting to the harness because he would chew on the hoodie and not the harness.

As to size, when it came to the aviator harness, I got a petite for my tiels that fit perfectly. Do they have a return policy if it doesn't fit properly? That might be something to look into.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I'd seen of the hoodie, I imagine it would help block out chill. Here in Arizona I'm much more concerned about it being too warm than not warm enough, lol

Okay, that's definetly great then. As long as it isn't too hot, I may get the hoodie just for that, whether it keeps him warm or not :D!

Yes, they do have a return policy. I've also emailed the lady who runs avianfashions, and am awaiting her return email. Since Kirby is slightly on the larger side of tiels (90 grams, 6" girth and 4" length), so I think the medium is going to work out fine.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts