Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am strongly considering a Cockatiel, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from existing owners with respect to how much I might expect on monthly expenses, including:

• Vet bills
  • Food
  • Toys
  • Bedding
  • Nail clipping
  • Any other unexpected expenses
Any feedback or insight you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there!

I just happened to make some calculations few weeks ago :D. My two ‘tiels have cost me roughly 1100 € (ca. 1700 CAD) during their first 2 years --> that makes 46 € per month (71 CAD/month). This sum only includes their upkeep: food, toys, UV bird lamps that must be renewed annually, filters to the air purifier and vet bills.
Note that I make almost all toys by myself, using mostly free stuff that I collect from the forest, and stuff that I obtain from packaging like paper and cardboard. I use newspaper as their bedding. And I trim their nails by myself, and only once I had to take them to a vet, as they had some parasitic infection, otherwise they have been very healthy. Of course, I’m not sure how much all these things really cost in Canada…. and if you need to visit the vet more often, their upkeep may become much more expensive.:unsure:

Add to that the cage (400 €), two travel cages (160 €), and a DIY outdoor aviary (800 €) as well as the birds (220 €), a small air humidifier and accessories like dishes and nail trimming scissors (50 €), and the sum becomes 2730 €, which makes 4200 CAD --> thus in 2 years it makes 114 €/month (176 CAD/month). But it probably depends on what you want or need to buy for them...

I’m glad you consider the costs before getting cockatiels and hope this helps a bit…;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
You’re welcome, hope it was useful. You can really save a lot of money by making their toys, and at least my cockatiels usually like self-made toys better than the commercial ones. Food is quite inexpensive, even if you buy high quality food, herbs and veggies, as they don’t consume it much.;) And it's better to buy them healthy food to prevent health concerns in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts