Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving today and we ended up near a pet shop that's quite far from our house but has some good cages usually. I asked to stop and have a look to see if there were any potentially good cages, there weren't. :p But we also went to where they keep the birds and had a look. There was a big aviary of lutino, whiteface pieds, cinnamon pearl pieds, etc (fancy mutations). There was also a woman looking to buy one. The first one she looked at looked like it was at deaths door, definitely not a healthy bird. The employee pointed this out. :) Then she was admiring another whiteface pied but was wondering how to sex it, she wanted a male. I went over and asked what she was after and after checking with the employee that these weren't babies ("well, they're not baby babies, but they're still young" - *cough* adult) i said the one she was looking at was most probably male (it had dark tail feathers and no bars) and i explained why i thought that but also said that with all the varieties in the cage there would never be a sure way to tell visually. I mentioned that males sing. The employee then said that females bite really really hard. I said i found the opposite to be true and that females tend to be cuddly and males goofy but hormonal. The lady was going to come back and buy the whiteface pied. It's not tame but hopefully it will tame down for her. It didn't really seem like there was much research going into the purchase, but i guess that's how it is often at pet shops. It was nice to be of assistance, but i would struggle to sell birds to just anyone who walked in if i worked at one. :rolleyes:

On another note, there was a pair of sun conures......$1500 for the pair!!! :eek: That's over charging for you. :p

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
when I was thinking about getting a cockatiel I did my research first before I just jumped into it, I am one of those people that like to be prepared and know what I am dealing with, I don't know why some people seem to think its the female that bites hard I am sure they could bite hard if they wanted to but Georgie only threatens me she will get down low and open her beak and hiss at me like she is big and bad but if I ignore her and continue with my finger to her to step up she does it....lol she just likes to pretend she is bad, now Ollie he will get all freaky and start attacking my finger...hehe thankfully for me it doesn't hurt for the most part but it is annoying when he is having these crazy fits.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always research if i'm getting a new pet too. In budgies the female's are the little cows that bite hard so maybe that's where the idea comes from...

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Dooby will bite when he's having his "Tiel tantrum" but although if he catches you wrong it hurts, I think it could be a whole lot worse. I hate it when I go into a pet shop and the assistant really doesn't know about the animal or bird they are selling. I wish it was compulsory to have training on the animals they sell.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Thats what pet stores do best. There is a yellow sided Gcc here and they called it a sunny side conure. Then jacked the price up to double. Talk about charging you then lol
and I am sure someone looking for a bird that doesn't know or hasn't done any research will pay it :p

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Well- to be honest, I was one of those people that just saw baby and she stole my heart. I asked a few questions at the store about their care etc but I wasn't leaving Baby there. I wouldn't recommend anyone do what I did but I did make a purchase like that before. I don't regret it on bit though.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You took the time afterwards to make sure you were looking after her. :p A lot of people take the pet shop peoples word as fact and never bother to look further.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
You took the time afterwards to make sure you were looking after her. :p A lot of people take the pet shop peoples word as fact and never bother to look further.
Took the time is not the word! I read everything I could get my hands on and talked to whoever had something to say!:eek: I see what you mean though- those people that buy a pet and then it's forgot!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I bought Charlie at the spur of the moment, she was being picked on by the other birds, but came to the front of the cage to whistle when we whistled. We couldn't leave her there...
I then researched everything I could get my hands on. I guess the people in the pet shops can't really know who's going to be a good mommy and who isn't.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess the people in the pet shops can't really know who's going to be a good mommy and who isn't.
No one really can, but the thing that bugs me about pet shops is they really don't care - they want to make a sale. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, well here you have to be 18 to buy an animal. So if that counts as caring then i guess we're even better than other countries. :p

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
They care a little here. You cannot buy any animal unless your over the age of 16 or your parents are there aswell. but other then that they could care less who the animal goes to
No age restrictions here...esspecially at the larger brand stores. The one I go to is still "small" and I don't think they are AS bad- either way- they just want to make a sale. They don't care how old you are, what your housing situation is like, IF you have a house, if you're planning to cook the bird on a skewer..they just want to make a sale...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts