Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually follow the, "let nature take its course" saying. However, baby 2 pipped the day baby 1 hatched. It's been 29-30 hours and a pin sized hole appeared on the bottom of the egg about halfway down from the air sac. When I candled there was no movement, and no noise. That's when my anxiety kicked in.

Armed with knowledge from justcockatiels.net, I slowly went in through the air sac to see the "window" and what was going on. As described the membrane was like a thin tissue texture. It didn't look too humid, or not humid enough. I've been watching baby 2 like a hawk for 5-6 hours now (hour 34-35 since initial pip). baby 2 is still breathing, making small noises, which means he is still taking in the blood and yolk.

I am so afraid I am going to lose this one.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I usually follow the, "let nature take its course" saying. However, baby 2 pipped the day baby 1 hatched. It's been 29-30 hours and a pin sized hole appeared on the bottom of the egg about halfway down from the air sac. When I candled there was no movement, and no noise. That's when my anxiety kicked in.

Armed with knowledge from justcockatiels.net, I slowly went in through the air sac to see the "window" and what was going on. As described the membrane was like a thin tissue texture. It didn't look too humid, or not humid enough. I've been watching baby 2 like a hawk for 5-6 hours now (hour 34-35 since initial pip). baby 2 is still breathing, making small noises, which means he is still taking in the blood and yolk.

I am so afraid I am going to lose this one.

I have had babies take 3 days from initial pip until hatch, then they hatched out strong and healthy.. I just had baby #5 of my current clutch hatch thru the night. 3 eggs left to go and next one is pipping but due Wednesday.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Pictures would really help. Put the chick in an incubator and keep him hydrated put dribbling water from a q tip around the membrane. Can you see his beak? I really need pictures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts