Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.
Poor Percy (9 days old) isn't much bigger and isn't showing any sign of opening his eyes. His feet and wings are small. Though he is active and chirping away, I believe he has stunted growth.
Today, I bought a 1ml syringe and some Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Formula online, and they should arrive tomorrow, if not, the day after. This is my first and only chick, and all I want is for him to be okay. The parents have been feeding him seed, brown rice and a few veggies that they pick at. They aren't interested in anything else. I don't believe he's been getting the right nutrition, so I will have to interfere, but not totally.
I know that I must feed him once in the morning and once at night, but I'm worried about getting the consistency and temperature wrong. Please help.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
Although our third clutch of eggs are still in the nest box, We've raised 8 chicks so far. With that said, I'm not sure I can be of much help as I've never had a situation like yours. Everything you mentioned in your post regarding formula and supplies look good. Actually babies that small should be fed 3 times a day. Morning, noon, and night. THAT could be part of your problem. Yes, the temperature can't be too hot or too cold and you need to watch his crop to see if he's full after feeding. Normally 2 syringe fulls will do per feeding. Keep me posted and GOOD luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although our third clutch of eggs are still in the nest box, We've raised 8 chicks so far. With that said, I'm not sure I can be of much help as I've never had a situation like yours. Everything you mentioned in your post regarding formula and supplies look good. Actually babies that small should be fed 3 times a day. Morning, noon, and night. THAT could be part of your problem. Yes, the temperature can't be too hot or too cold and you need to watch his crop to see if he's full after feeding. Normally 2 syringe fulls will do per feeding. Keep me posted and GOOD luck.
Hello! Thank you for the luck. The baby is still lively, but its eyes are still sealed and its probably about half the size it should be for a 10 day old chick. Before the formula arrived this afternoon, I gave it some coconut water, which it drank quite happily from a syringe. The formula arrived, but the chicks crop was still slightly full, and the parents keep filling it little by little, which isn't ideal for me. I'm hoping that later on this evening, I will catch it with an empty crop.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Robert. Percy is now 17 days old and still small, but going strong. I have been feeding him formula for the past few days, but only realised just now that I have been feeding him from the wrong side of his mouth. He hasn’t coughed or sneezed during feeding, but has been a bit squirmy and shook his head away a few times. As far as I’m aware, he is fine and has not aspirated, but I know that pneumonia is really hard to spot. Should I worry?

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
At this point, I wouldn't worry. Just be careful when feeding with syringe. I know they act like there starving to death and will empty one pretty fast! Just watch his crop. As mentioned, two syringe fulls will usually do it.I'm about to be in the same boat you are ( AGAIN ) we've had our third egg hatch in the last three days with 2 more eggs to go!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At this point, I wouldn't worry. Just be careful when feeding with syringe. I know they act like there starving to death and will empty one pretty fast! Just watch his crop. As mentioned, two syringe fulls will usually do it.I'm about to be in the same boat you are ( AGAIN ) we've had our third egg hatch in the last three days with 2 more eggs to go!!
Congratulations! I’m sure they are adorable :) good luck on you last two eggs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.