Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my cockatiels has lost it's flight feathers on the right hand wing, three times since we got him/her. She/he seems a bit down in the dumps at the moment, but has just come back from two weeks "holiday" at a pet shop and we wondered if it could be stress as she dotes on my wife. I think this may have happened last time we put her/him in "digs". She/he had just lost them and they had just regrown before we went away (about two months before this holiday) we went to bed and the bird was ok, we came down and one wing was featherless. We have two birds but they seem to get on great. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there any sign of blood on either the wing or the feathers? She could be having a cage fright and getting her right wing caught between the bars of her cage. If this is what's happening, it's important to make sure that the bleeding is stopped quickly, as the bird can bleed to death in a relatively short time. In an emergency, you can use cornstarch to stop bleeding, if you don't have quik stop on hand. I have found that it helps to prevent night frights if I (1) cover the cage; (2) leave a night light on in the room, a fairly bright one; and (3) keep a radio playing on low volume. As tiels are night blind, the light keeps them from being so nervous about what's out there. The radio also helps because when the house is totally quiet, you getting up to use the bathroom, for instance, can wake the birds up and cause a fright, and radio music tends to mask other noises in the area. I can't thank of any other reason for her to lose all of the flights on one wing overnight.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Feather plucking doesn't usually happen with flight feathers, though it is certainly possible. It's also possible that your baby is having night frights. Is there any bleeding from either his/her wing or on the dropped feathers?

Because the situation sounds pretty stressful, I think it could be either, though that's my opinion. I know feather-plucking flight feathers isn't common, but I'm not certain exactly how uncommon it is.

Would it be possible to post some before and after pictures of the wing? And is it only on the one wing that the feathers are going missing?

I would try covering the cage at night, to help if it is nightfrights, and next time you go away ask them to observe the bird carefully for any signs of frights or plucking. If you're really concerned, and if this becomes a recurring issue, I would take the bird to the vet.

There are two locations for this thread, which I'm sure is an accident, but I posted twice just in case so that Armi would be able to see it whichever post they're looking at (or it may just be a glitch on my computer and it showed up twice :p either way...)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the help, I am taking the bird to the vets tomorrow, I phoned an avian vet who told me it may be an infection. There was some blood on the bars of the cage, so your theory about night frights could be right, I will ask the vet. I have no idea if you will see this reply as I am new to this site and found it a bit confusing. Thanks again, Armi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts