Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well here is that ever so common question :p

Male or female tiel??
I was going to go with female but i realy dont wana worry/bother with the egg problems... and personaly i realy love the colors of the normel grey males. The only problem with a male is the noise lvl. My family wouldnt be very happy if i had a tiel that was screaming all day long. So my question is are some males quite like a female?? I did a search on the fourms and came up with some info but nothing realy that would confirm it. So does anyone have a male tiel that is quite like a female?

Edit: I have never personaly heard a male tiel before so on a scale 1-10 how loud are they? (1 being no noise and 10 being extremely loude)

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Males can be quiet but most of them will sing songs that are pleasant to listen to. But they aren't always noisy and there will be a lot of quiet times with a male. Screaming all day long isn't normal - there's some sort of problem when that happens, and females can do it too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As always, there's the exception to the rule. I think there are some members on here who have quiet males. The only male I have ever owned was not quiet by any means.He let my mom know that I was home from school every day BEFORE I even made it to the driveway!!!!! I want a male tiel but because they generally are loud and I have neighbors, I have a female. That's changing once I find a place of my own without neighbors and a landlord who will not let me have another bird :)

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
It really depends on the cockatiel. I know people with quiet males who dont really sing or anything, my male doesnt scream but he does sing alot during the day.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
It always depends on the tiel. Mine is LOUD. When he was the only bird living with my friend, she said he was really quiet. Grey competes with the parakeets who never stop chirping so he sings, screams, whistles, clucks, and chirps constantly. Sometimes I can hear from the yard inside.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My male is pretty quiet.

He sings and whistles for a few minutes at a time a couple times a day, but that is fairly quiet and quite pleasant.

So far, he is not a screamer at all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My males have certain times of the day when they are noisy. Right now my 6 month old tiel Riki is finding his voice :) But i enjoy their noise. It can be very comical.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so what would u rate the noise on a chart of 1-10 and if you pick a quite tiel at the petstore does that mean he general will be a bit quiter?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And thanks for changing the name of the thread :) i realy dont know why i didnt have "Are there quite males" in the first place :p

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Here is a video of my male singing,
he does this varying times throughout the day and sometimes I have to politely tell him to shut up but its not that bad:p

No problem:) I was hoping you wouldnt be mad about the title change its just when the titles are straight to the point it helps others who might be searching for a certain question, find threads.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a video of my male singing,
he does this varying times throughout the day and sometimes I have to politely tell him to shut up but its not that bad:p

No problem:) I was hoping you wouldnt be mad about the title change its just when the titles are straight to the point it helps others who might be searching for a certain question, find threads.
I cant seem to get your video to work. It says its a image and not a video. But its probaly because i dont know how to work it :p (i never was good at videos)

And no problem about the title change i used to be a mod on a video game fourm and i remember always changing titles :p

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
oh sorry you just click on the picture to get the video to pop up and play:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my family usaly goes to bed about 11:00 or 12:00 and then wake up any where from 9:00 - 12:00. So does any of your males make noise in the dark? or are they usaly pearty quite when its sleep time?

EDIT: love your male how he runs around chirping :p

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I agree that it depends on the Cockatiel — they are CAPABLE of getting loud when they scream (around a 6-7 I would say), or are happy, but like it has been said, a constantly screaming Cockatiel could mean some underlying cause of it happening.

I have quite a few male Cockatiels, there are those few that are always happily whistling away, they will give the occasional scream too if they hear a wild bird, or one of my other birds when they start going off, but then I have a couple of males who could care less to scream, they will whistle and chirp, but that is about it, they are pretty laid back, and they always have been. I have to add too, I have 2 females that can get really loud, and I mean loud, one of them especially who can scream as loud as 2 of my males at the same time. But again, it really depends on the Cockatiel, if they are placid, you will find they are more laid back and are happy and will be quiet most of the time. (providing they have plenty of toys/things to do and such)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My newest boy is quiet, but i think Luna (my loudest) is teaching him to sing! ;)

·
Registered
11,093 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Ok so what would u rate the noise on a chart of 1-10 and if you pick a quite tiel at the petstore does that mean he general will be a bit quiter?
You can't really judge a tiel in mere minutes. Right now, im on opposite ends of the house with closed doors inbetween and I can hear him screaming and whistling.. i think he trying to learn a new song. He definitely rates 10 to me... but honestly, I am so used to the noise that it doesn't even phase me.:p

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
My male cockatiel is quiet most of the day. He sings for awhile in the afternoon. He typically freaks out when I get home from work and is loud but that's only because he's excited I'm home. On weekends, if I dare to sleep in, he will flock call until I uncover him. I sleep upstairs. He sleeps downstairs. It's loud enough to wake me. But he doesn't make noise just to make noise. There is always a reason for it- mainly that he wants me to get him. But when my fiance is home alone with him, he says he's usually pretty quiet (but for his afternoon singing :) ).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Question: If lets say he goes to bed at 11:00 at night then the sun comes up at 9:00. His cages will stay dark untill 11:00 in the morning. Now will he make noise at 9:00 because thats when the sun comes up or will he still sleep untill his cage gets light at 11:00?

·
Registered
317 Posts
my male used to sing constantly - at 4am when the sun rises (even though he is covered at night) he starts shouting "wakey wakey wakey!" untill you uncover him, but if you dont teach this bad habit you should be fine lol!

My males singing never bothers me or my family (except my sister who hates birds) he has such beautiful tunes that is nice to hear him, the only time he screams is when i leave the house but he stops as soon as i shut the door behind me.

All in all I prefer males, i like noise - i come from a big family so a quiet house is weird to me. :p

A bird wakes up at the slightest sign of light, green parakeet, so if the room is dark the bird will sleep, if they see light, forget about it. Its like that in my house anyway so we have a 7pm to 5am bedtime, sun set and sunrise because the room they in lets in a lot of light.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts