Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo! been a while since I posted here. My birdies are now 4 months old (almost) and are both in overall good health! Except for something that the doc did find indicative of liver or tissue damage. But I am optimistic that that will be alright as their symptoms have gone away entirely!!

Anyway.

Matty has been gaining quite a bit of weight. I can barely feel her keel bone now. He was at around 84 or 85g when it felt normal to me, and now he's 93g in the morning and 97g before bed!! Every day he has been putting on about half a gram in the morning...

The only culprit I can think of is either that they're not out of the cage enough - although I think 2 hours a day is alright considering my past experiences - or the High Potency Harrison's Pellets that they have recently taken a liking to. I also placed the food dish with it down below so they don't hurt themselves on the edge of it, and started putting all their food in there instead of around the cage floor (which they would spend longer eating from) for cleanliness.

On the back of the bag of the pellets, it says the crude fat is min, 12%, while the nutriberries I had them mostly on before the pellets were about 6% I think... What do you think??

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
High potency pellets have more calories per unit of volume than the regular adult ones do. So yes, they could cause weight gain. They're generally intended for birds that are recovering from illness or neglect.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Harrisons makes two varieties of pellets. High potency. Which they recommend to start all birds off on and then a less potent formula for maintenance. You might try the regular version and see if Matty's weight levels off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay! So I switched them to the regular potency, which has 6%, and they ended up eating more of it per day and now even Pat's weight has gone up to Mat's level. They're both about 93g in the mornings - but at least it is steady at 91-93 most mornings...

I give them the recommended maximum of 10g of pellets a day, but they eat it all throughout about the first 2/3 of the day.

I tried distracting them from eating so much by taking them out of the cage more, and giving them greens such as lettuce or kale after they finish their pellets so they don't take in too many extra calories (except I bet they process those greens much faster than the pellets. They eat it if they feel like it, but then end up searching for the pellets and not wanting any of the greens. I give them a little bit because I don't want them to be too hungry). The next morning they eat the pellets faster if they didn't have the pellets they wanted the night before.

Honestly I don't know what to do anymore! I'm thinking of trying to just let them eat as they want. They don't overstuff their crop which is good. This happened before, and then they lost the weight again after a bit but that was when I fed them nutriberries of different kinds plus the pellets and more fatty veggies (but I worried the nutriberries were too sugary with the dried fruits so I limited it a lot more). If I start offering them all of that again, I'm worried they'd get too excited and want to eat way too much at once, or that they'd get some symptoms back.

I feel like what I am doing now is at least keeping the weight where it is, but I still don't get why it's not going down. I don't know what to do!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts