Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was walking through a local pet store and noticed these miniature harnesses designed for cockatiels. I have seen similar ones used on cockatoos, but never on a cockatiel.
I would like to take my birds outside without a cage, but do harnesses work, and are they relativley safe (or escape proof)? :confused:

!!!!Thanks a lot for your advice!!!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I have one but find i don't use it a lot. I have a Flight Suit, which has reasonably good recommendations, but the one that seems the most trustworthy and safe is the Aviator Harness and i would definitely like to get one in the future. Stay away from the Feather Tether, that's got lots of bad reviews because of all the fiddly buckles. :)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I have one but find i don't use it a lot. I have a Flight Suit, which has reasonably good recommendations, but the one that seems the most trustworthy and safe is the Aviator Harness and i would definitely like to get one in the future. Stay away from the Feather Tether, that's got lots of bad reviews because of all the fiddly buckles. :)
I agree 100% about the feather Tether Brand, My quaker got his unsnapped and off of his self within 3 seconds of having it on, Thankfully we never made it off the couch

and the size for budgies was extreamly too big ( we got petite which is smaller or supposed to be smaller than Xsmall) and tried to put it on 3 differnt budgies 3 differnt sized ones and all 3 walked right out of it ( and we had it tightened as tight as it would go.)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have never bought or put a harness on Earl. I would be to scared incase something went wrong on the harness and he got away! :lol: But don't let it put you off, many people use them on their birds! :p As long as it's a well made one that you buy or have got, I would go for it!

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I would still want Spike clipped if I used a harness. I don't think I will ever use one though I like when my hands don't bled :p

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I would love to take Earl and Little Bill outside with harnesses, but I would only want to take them out if their wings were clipped, but I will never do that-I don't like it! :p Also I would just be to nervous! :lol:...but that is just me! They are safe things to use.:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I use the aviator, it's hard to get it on, I think Echo doesn't like it touching his eyes and it musses his feathers when being tightened, but after its on he just has a big preen and completely forgets he has it on. He loves being outside in the trees, or going on trips to visit people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts