Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been 5 days since I've brought Anakin home, and since then we've made progress. He'll come over to the side of a cage and take millet from me and occasionally give me the peep of contentedness.

Something strange that's been happening recently though — he'll run up to the side of the cage (which is awesome; he's excited to see me) and when I open the cage door, he'll step up and either sit there or take off on an expedition exploring everything..shying away and avoiding stepping up in the process. Is he scared? Excited? Curious? I need a cockatiel translator :p

Thanks for your help!
-Rumz and Anakin

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well if he steps up at the start then there's no problem in my opinion ( mine doesnt step up while near her cage.. she has issues with her cage :p rofl ) so if he is just wandering around searching the world if he isn't scared maybe he wants more time to explore that's why he doesn't step up I guess, if he gets scared of something he'll probably fly back to his safe place that's either you or his cage or he'll wait for you to get him so he'll step up either way.

That's my interpretation / experience at least! Hope it helps a bit :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I'll see what he does when I get home. I just thought it was strange because the first time he did it he jumped out by himself and took off down the hall :D He did let me collect him when he flew down a ways though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's my point! He was probably confused or "scared" of whatever he was facing suddenly so he preferred to be collected than just run off hahah.

Don't forget the one and major rule that is clear at the end to everybody. We are getting trained so we can be manipulated by them, not the other way around unfortunately. These birds no matter how sweet and comfy fellows they are they remain the most "you'll-do-what-i-want-or-i-wont-do-anything" type of guys. So you are getting trained and tamed to live with him my friend and not him to live with you don't ever forget that lol.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well it's great he has his wings! I love hearing that because my girl has her wings. And remember it's only been 5 days so it's just exploring and being itself;). It time you'll and it will adapt, you will to each other:D:yes:.

Hope you enjoy the sweetie!:love:

~Skye

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The funny thing is, he's clipped :D Whomever did it must have missed a primary or two because if he's determined he'll fly. When he gets his first molt he should be bonded enough to me that he won't fly away. I have no plans to clip him in the future :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yes, I had to learn Cockatielese to talk to my boy. As far as your tiel's behaviour is concerned, I agree with Noekeon.
Does it always happen? My boy is a bit moody. Sometimes he steps up immediately when I open the cage and sometimes he is a bit grumpy but usually changes his mind within a few minutes. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't appear that he's moody..it's only been 5 days so if he was I wouldn't know for sure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Rumz,
As it has been just 5-7 days since you brought Anakin home so, may be he is still busy exploring things..not sure if he is moody or not.. give him some more time to settle down:)

cutie is very moody.. when she is very happy she will step up right away as soon as i open the cage.. but if for some reasons she is grumpy..mostly because i don't reply her when she screams when i am out of the room for dishes and i have already replied her back that i will return in 2 mins:p then she wont step up..even hisses sometimes:) until i flatter her with words and bring back treats for her when she stops screaming.

good luck with your baby:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts