Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our newest baby which was hatched last November. We have yet to determine the birds sex. It's only been a few weeks now since it finally stopped that dreaded baby (begging) noise. While I'm well aware the only sure method of finding out the sex is a DNA test. I have my fingers crossed it's a male but it hasn't started singing or really making much sound at all yet. I will say this is one of the sweetest babies (out of six) that I've had so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Adorable baby pic!

I can't make any educated guesses on gender, but I'm personally hoping for a quiet female for my first tiel, since I live in an apartment. I think I read somewhere that Lutinos are more likely to be female, so that's what I'm aiming to get.

How do you normally determine the gender of your birds then? Are DNA tests expensive?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
There are a few different ways:
Look for spots on the wings and bars on the tail feathers after the bird reaches adulthood only hens will have them. This doesn't work with pied mutation birds since they may not have any of these feathers in non-pied (wiped form) or the feathers they do have may not have advanced correctly with age. With lutinos the spots and bars will be hard to see but they are there just very yellow. Try using a black light if you have trouble.

Birds carrying a sex-linked mutation 2/3 times are female because of how sex-linked mutations are inherited. If a bird has two sex linked mutations the odds of any old bird being female jump up to 9/10. If it has three, the odds are 99/100. The odds never go to 100% but it can give you a good idea.

Conversely, Normal gray non sex-linked mutation birds are usually male.

The most accurate way involves taking a family history of the parents and their mutations. It can be used to sex some chicks depending on the mutations that family carries.

Also behavior, hens are quieter, lay eggs, and don't typically learn to copy human speech. The way they masturbate (a lot of cockatiels do this) hens will rub their vent against something and chirp softly. Males are loud, sing and copy human speech (sometimes) and hump objects when they masturbate. I hope I didn't gross you out with this but it is a legitimate way to tell.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adorable baby pic!

I can't make any educated guesses on gender, but I'm personally hoping for a quiet female for my first tiel, since I live in an apartment. I think I read somewhere that Lutinos are more likely to be female, so that's what I'm aiming to get.

How do you normally determine the gender of your birds then? Are DNA tests expensive?
I wouldn't mind a Lutino myself but I would prefer a male. DNA tests run around 15 bucks or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts