Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 fantail goldfish in a 3.5 gal tank on my kitchen counter by the window. While not as interactive and fun as my Bennie, I do enjoy them! I also take care of a 55 gallon tank in the nature center. Children especially seem drawn to the movement and color. I have black skirt tetras, black and dalmation mollies, red platys and an albino plecostomus ("sucker fish"). I think it's cute how they all come to the front and top when I come over - I know they're just expecting to be fed, but it's still cute!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yep. I have a 17 g and a 5 g. You're going to have to turn that 3.5 g into a 35 g if you want those guys to thrive :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fish keepers

Hi jaguar - I didn't realize I would need a tank that large. The 2 fish are about an inch and a half long and seem to be doing well. I've had them since last fall. I really don't have room for a bigger tank. Do you think I should rehome them? I can't put them in with the nature center fish; I think goldfish are more aggressive than any of the species I have.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Common goldfish get huge and need 20 plus gallons per fish, fancy goldfish need at least 15 gallons per fish, they get very stunted when keeping in small tanks. They are also huge waste producers and will slowly poison themselves in a small tank.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I, too, have fish in a small 3 gallon tank. I have 2 Black Skirt Tetras in it. I love watching them :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi jaguar - I didn't realize I would need a tank that large. The 2 fish are about an inch and a half long and seem to be doing well. I've had them since last fall. I really don't have room for a bigger tank. Do you think I should rehome them? I can't put them in with the nature center fish; I think goldfish are more aggressive than any of the species I have.
Sorry I didn't have much time to write a better reply. Their growth is going to be seriously stunted by that tank size. ParrotletsRock nailed it, goldfish get surprisingly big and produce a lot of waste. They need big tanks with heavy filtration. Properly cared for they could live 10-15 years... otherwise they will likely poison themselves to death much earlier. I would consider rehoming them. I think you'd be much better off with a betta - a 3.5g is still a bit on the small side but they're very personable fish that would do much better in a setup like that :)

This is my 17g(I replaced those ugly green pipes with glass ones)

This is my 5g which just has a few guppies in it at the moment.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I don't keep fish but my dad does. He had a large 55 gal that he keeps angel fish (my favorite) tetras, and some redtail sharks in. Goldfish do need a lot more room than the small tank. Personally I'd recommend an angel fish or two, they are super pretty and hilarious!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I don't keep fish but my dad does. He had a large 55 gal that he keeps angel fish (my favorite) tetras, and some redtail sharks in. Goldfish do need a lot more room than the small tank. Personally I'd recommend an angel fish or two, they are super pretty and hilarious!
I LOVE Angels, but not for a 3 1/2 gal tank.... About the only thing you can keep in a tank that small is a betta or a few shrimp.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I have a little 7-gallon tank myself, with one betta, three pencil fish, an otocinclus and a snail. I wish I could have more!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts