Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take care of a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium in the nature center where I work. Recently I changed the substrate. It seems that started a bad chain of events. I have a lot of brown algae. I did some on-line research and got conflicting answers. I think the brown algae is caused by diatoms. But how do I get rid of it? It looks ugly and I just lost another plecostomus. The only species that seems to be surviving are my black tetras. I'd appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
769 Posts
My friend has an aquarium, and the same thing happened that you have described. It killed all the fish in the tank, so she upgraded it. I know aquariums are expensive and hard to set up, but could buying another aquarium be an option?
Hope all goes well, and you find a solution soon!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Diatoms generally bloom during the early phases of a new tank, but it definitely could be triggered by a substrate switch. I went from ADA AquaSoil to Flourite recently and had a bloom. My otocinclus cats cleaned it right up, but they usually go away on their own after a few weeks once your tank stabilizes.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aquarium

I have gotten 3 different plecostomus to try to clean up the tank. Each died after about 2 - 3 weeks. I am afraid to try otos or any more plecos...I hate when they die in my tank. The remaining fish I have are all black skirt tetras; they seem pretty hardy. I am almost at the point of re-homing them and replacing the aquarium with a reptile habitat. (This is in the nature center.) But I really enjoy the fish and our guests do, too, especially young children. They seem fascinated by the movement.
Do you think if I keep doing water changes regularly, and even more often than weekly, it might clear up on its own?
thanks for the links; I will check into them, too.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Maybe every three days would be good? I have never owned an aquarium, but I have a lot friends who have one, and I think that they change the water every weekend. Also make sure the tank stays away from sunlight, cause I remember that being the cause of algae. Whenever you see a bit of algae in the tank, remove it before it grows.
Hope you can save your fish!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts