Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tiel, Artemis, has been getting more and more attached to me. He gets really upset in the mornings when I get dressed for work - he cries, like an alarm cry. I would shush him or tell him no, which works on other things - like when he's nibbling on something he shouldn't - but it doesn't work in this case. I've just started covering his cage, which definitely settles him down some, but he'll still cry a little.

He is a little over a year old and I've had him since he was 5 months old. He has reached sexual maturity but only humps his stuffed animal, never me. He plays outside of his cage a lot - eats with me a few times a week, showers with me, gets outside play time in the yard and I hide his food in his cage so he has to hunt for it. He doesn't seem very interested in toys though. When I leave for work, I put the radio on for him. What more can I do to make him not cry?

:wf lutino::wf lutino::wf lutino:

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
When I first got Rocko he was crying for attention but over time he just stopped are you allowed to bring him to work with you.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
It's hard to make cage time fun when they'd rather be with you but a couple things I did that helped with Sunny was he only got millet spray when he was in his cage. So every morning when I'd leave for work I'd hang a piece in his cage. I would leave him happily munching on it. I also would always try to spend sometime with him while he was in his cage so he didn't automatically associate cage with me going away. So even though it slowed my morning down, after I had him out for awhile, I would spend about 15 minutes with him while he was in his cage. It seemed to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Brandon - no, he can't come to work with me.

@sunnysmom - I'll try giving him treats when I get dressed and leave. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts