Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I found you guys 'cos I have my 3rd 'tiel now since 2005 and this present cutie was given me by me vet (a stray that nobody claimed) after my last darling died last year (heart attack when garden services came, started the chainsaw). She was also sitting on 4 unfertilised eggs... she always laid them 'cos she loved me so much. Her name was Peaches.

Before her (I thought she was a boy at the pet shop and I had called her Mister Boyd, ha ha before the eggs arrived so I called her Peaches) I had bought a tame stunner (as a real rookie) from a pet shop in 2005. A cinnamon pearl with lime green bits. I knew zip about them but after 2 weeks I awoke one night and decided to have a midnight snack. I took new 'tiel with me on shoulder and stupidly made avocado sandwich. He was curious so I fed him. I returned him to cage and said goodnight. Next day he was stone dead and I was hysterical. I only learned the rules later.

By now I was smitten so I bought 'Mr Boyd' (aka Peaches) from a store as a real baby. 'He' was a lutino. Hard to 'sex'. I fed 'him' 'tiel porridge via syringe and 'he' had dried porridge dreadlocks! From 2005 to 2008 'he' turned into 'her' and she laid me seasonal 4 eggs. I was afraid sh'd get egg fever so I let her keep them for ages then removed them after a long time (I read books). She then broke my heart by dying of the heart attack.

Now I have the vet's orphan! Another lutino! But VERY bright colours and chirps and mimics so am sure he's a boy. Tame, eats proper pellets, loves my dog and cats, what a gift!

I found you guys when I Googled 'polka' name because he has bright orange blotches apart from his cheeks! Like measles! I think it's just in-breeding. He's so unique... splotches on his face in bright orange!

Well I'm here to stay and I have 3 pals here who have and love 'tiels so thanks for having me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome!! I'm glad you decided to learn more about tiels. I'm also a new owner of three tiels and a Vet Tech but this is my first experience with birds other than the theory learned in school. I hope you find all your answers here and that your tiel gets to live a long and happy life.
BTW I think you got a rare mutation of tiel or so I've heard.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Irene! Welcome to TC! Do you have any pics of your 'tiel to share with us?

P.S. I'm so sorry for the loss of your other 2 'tiels.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
welcome aboard

the Bright orange "polka dots" is most likely from Hormones I had 2 Tiels with it a pair - male and female even their Baby was born with orange feathers where it shouldn't of been orange at all but He has now out grown it and is 9 months old His mom died when he was 4 days old (don't know why she was fine one minute gone the next) His dad still has some of the orange blotches on him though

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Welcome to the form :) Sorry to hear about your other two tiels. Your new guy sounds great :) I would keep him away from your other pets though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys thanks for the welcome! I tried uploading a pic but seemed too big. I'm still faffing around with names for him... Mango; Elvis; Bart; Calypso; Tango; Johnny (Bravo); Punk; Butterbean; Polka... and I really want to call him Sweetcheeks but people say that's a dumb name. Well Spike is good too because I also love Spike Milligan who was a comic deluxe!

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Welcome, and sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes! all over the world! I'm too broke to travel but this is like cyber pals. Who knowa, it's not what you konw but who you know! XX

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new too (just posted today) and our new little guy is named Sweet Cheeks, so if you like it, do it. Don't let others tell you what to name your bird. He's your fid, not theirs!
LOL
Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts