Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I went grocery shopping late this afternoon....(thats depressing) :(
I opend Tikis door and said you can come out and do what ever you want to do... I won't bother you!!!!! :) He came out on the playstation, muched some millet and then went up to the perch on his door.... just looking around and watching me put away groceries... went in to eat a little, drink some water and came back out... I knew my granddaughter and greatgrandson were coming and debated putting him back in the cage, but decided to just let him be and see what he would do.... It didn't faze him a bit... he sat there, cocking his head taking it all in, watching the little one who is just starting to walk, toddle around, didn't get upset at his loud noises or anything... my granddaughter asked if she could hold him... I said you can try.... but Tiki wasn't having any part of that... he flew to the floor.... and so willingly stepped on my hand when I offered it to put him back on his perch....outside of the little episode of flying to the floor he sat there the whole time she was here....

I was so impressed... its the first time I have left him out when anyone was here.... And the first time he didn't show some apprehension when someone new came in the house....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But today topped it all.... he actually asked to be on my hand.... (not with words ) :D but with body language.... I took him around the house, then to the computer room... he was in the computer room yesterday too... makes him a little nervous... but today he crawled up on my shoulder and sat there for a long time.... until I printed off a recipe for birdy bread.... that scared him when the printer started up and he flew off, but picked him back up and he was OK....he is starting to try little bites of food from my hand too, besides his millet.... the progress is awesome...

Buffie finally decided she can eat in the kitchen again... as long as she keeps one eye on Tiki and takes a big mouth full to eat in the living room and come back for more... Bandit is letting go of being so obsessive about getting close to Tiki....things are finally settling down to what ever normal is... !!!!!!

BTW how much millet is to much... Tiki gets a little millet evrytime he does something new.... and he expects it... I break off the little blooms or what ever they are and feed them to him....

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
My vet said that millet is actually low fat, and used to diet birds. :huh: I think the main thing about millet (and the reason it should be kept to a treat) is that it's not exclusively what they eat, because as we all know variety is the key. :D Using millet as a reward for doing new things is fine, and a good incentive for Tiki!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.