Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! :D

I just got back from parrot club with my 6 sleepy birdies :)

And Bob, one of the men behind midland parrots (uk), put some interesting ideas forward.

The one that stuck out to me most was about the seasons, when we put our heating on in the winter we're taking away our birds natural seasons and same with our foods, feeding them fruit and veg via the seasons rather than oo they like that.
I listened intently to all he said and taken it all in.

I mainly fed them veg I knew they'd eat, broccoli, sweetcorn, herbs, etc etc etc. but I'm going to try feeding them with the seasons. Without any research or knowledge of things being in season you can see everything in super markets so truthfully I was a little confused!

I can't wait to see what they think when I come home with seasonal foods they haven't had before :)

Every time I go to parrot club it is so educational. And the people that run it really care about parrots!

Everyone loved my babies, and some were so surprised how many different mutation of cockatiel there were!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That is an interesting thought. I've never thought about it like that, I guess because America isn't their natural habitat anyways, ya know? I mean, they're in captivity, we don't let the "daylight" hours go with the seasons because then we'd for sure have laying every spring. I'll be interested to see how your tiels react!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ooo, sounds really interesting, I'd never thought of that!

Might give it a go too especially since I'm growing seasonal veg in my garden at the moment, good thinking Bob!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the minute on the menu there are a few berries to try (Blueberry, Raspberry, and Elderberries) Pears, broccoli, brussel sprouts, beans, cabbage and carrot :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts