Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't post picture right now, but I promise I will in a couple of hours. Ama's eye is worry me. It looks like her bottom third eye lid is showing. The pictures I took are extremely blurry because she wouldn't hold still and it makes it look worse than what it is. There is no swelling, no discharge, and it is not watering. She hasn't been rubbing it and she acts like it is not bothering her.

I read a post Susanne made a while back about using homeopathic eye drops for irritation... because it honestly does not look like an infection.

Im also worried about getting to the vet with her if it is serious because I am leaving town friday until Monday. The closest vet is 30-45 minutes away. And I wont have a vehicle tomorrow morning. I didn't sleep at all last night because im worried about getting her to the vet if its nessecary which is why I am asking you guys first.

It is possible she just has dry eyes? Grey gets red nostrils sometimes from the house air being so dry.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You could try misting her and see if that helps. To take a better pic you could stand about 18" away from her and zoom in on her eye. Or take a normal picture and crop it and post that.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will post what I have when I get to work. Its not that im taking bad pictures. She is just so active that she doesn't hold still at all.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has been like this since I can remember.... Jaime might be able to say otherwise.

Do you think homeopathic eye drops could fix it or help her be more comfortable?

I know pictures will help. I promise to get them up soon.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It is probably just hound dog eye..it doesn't look like a serious issue to me. I wouldn't worry so much about it. Susanne listed precautions to another user in the link I posted earlier.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would homeopathic eye drops help at all with it being hound dog eye? She doesn't rub it so I don't think it itches, but would it really make a difference with dryness if I get the purifier/humidifier?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
The only thing I could see that might help is steroid drops..which speed up the healing process, so this could only work if it was going to heal itself eventually. I personally would just mist her often, use an air purifier, and keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't get irritated (and follow all the other precautions).

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Might it be a good idea to use some sterile saline eye drops on it? This might help with lubrication and keep debris out of the eye. I'm sure she's going to be fine, Meagan. But I think there's some kind of rule where they always have to do something to scare us right before a trip/holiday. :p

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered them last night when I read about them in another thread just in case, so I will keep them handy in case she gets irritated, and I will just follow the precautions you've both recommended. :) Thanks for being here to help answer questions.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Might it be a good idea to use some sterile saline eye drops on it? This might help with lubrication and keep debris out of the eye. I'm sure she's going to be fine, Meagan. But I think there's some kind of rule where they always have to do something to scare us right before a trip/holiday. :p
Tell me about it! :rolleyes: I'm a wreck leaving her now. lol.

This is what I ordered last night:

http://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Homeop...QEXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334167061&sr=8-1

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Roo doesn't have it, although her eyes are bigger than Sunny's. Not that anecdotal data proves anything, but. :p I don't know much about the drops and their specific ingredients, but as long as they're safe and soothing, I'd think they'd be good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts