Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok... so i have brought home the 4th and final cinnamon whiteface....:p

... i think s/he has sinusitis (a cold) so i will have to treat her...
and here are the other 2 on the shower rail... enjoying the steam...

arrgh i am crazy....
now i have....
w/f cinnamon pearl
w/f cinnamon pearl pied
w/f cinnamon
w/f cinnamon pied....

and loving it... i am mental.. everything has to match... and now they do..
even if they are all girls... all the genes in them are recessive, so all i need to do is pair them with whatever mutation i want....

but i hope at least one of the new 3 is a boy...
my feeling is...
Cinnamaroll is a proven girl... she laid eggs-w/f cinn pearl
Tak i think is a girl-w/f cinn pied
Comet?... i think is a boy-w/f cinn
and the new one i think is a boy too-w/f cinn pearl pied...

Tak loves all food!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
awww your new one is a cutie :D you must have a thing for the wf cinnamons :p I am sure you must have at least one boy out of all of them what are the odds they would be all girls...lol I was just curious what you meant by all the genes in them are recessive I know whiteface and pied are recessive but cinnamon and pearl are sex linked not recessive.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah cinnamon and pearl are sex linked, only 2 are pearl(i am hoping they will make a pair... :p), and it means i can garuntee the sex of babies with a cinnamon ma or pa!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
She/he's very cute. Those nostrils are quite red so she does seem sick. What are you treating her with?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it is basically either a vitamin deficiency or a cold (the 2 things that cause sinusitis)...
and my guess is vitamin deficiency...(they were on an all seed/egg and biscuit mix diet :eek:)
i am treating with vitamins, and leaving a bowl of boiling water with a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the room at night time....
i have moved Tak and ..Comet?.. to the birdroom in their own cage...
the new one is totally isolated in my room, getting treatment

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
well it is basically either a vitamin deficiency or a cold (the 2 things that cause sinusitis)...
and my guess is vitamin deficiency...(they were on an all seed/egg and biscuit mix diet :eek:)
i am treating with vitamins, and leaving a bowl of boiling water with a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the room at night time....
i have moved Tak and ..Comet?.. to the birdroom in their own cage...
the new one is totally isolated in my room, getting treatment
That's good. If it is vitamin related it's most likely that it's vitamin A but ussually with vitamin a there's acctually discharge stains above their cere. If it's a bacteria related issue try adding a drop of apple cider vinegar in her water as well. I use it all the time but it's great for issues like this also. I'd say if you don't see it clear up by the middle of next week just make an appoitment for the vets.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah the most common cause of sinusitis is vit A deficiency ...
on a tiel the cere is called the nare or nares....
but yeah i doubt is is that bad yet... just enough to let this flood weather get to them...
that is an awesome idea bout the vinegar! supprised i didnt think about that... i use it when i have a cold... why not them!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
yeah the most common cause of sinusitis is vit A deficiency ...
on a tiel the cere is called the nare or nares....
but yeah i doubt is is that bad yet... just enough to let this flood weather get to them...
that is an awesome idea bout the vinegar! supprised i didnt think about that... i use it when i have a cold... why not them!
Nares..ooppsie...lol

Yup, I use acv for alot of things. It goes in their water daily not only to keep the water less bacteria prone but for digestive problems and to prevent certain illnesses. It's helped greatly reduce an inoperable tumor on one of my budgies, Stormy. To me it another miracle food (drink) along with bee pollen.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
if you're giving them vitamens, apple cider vingar etc. for a illness they don't have, or not 100% sure they have it or not, isn't that over medicating them?

I didnt think it was safe to give them vitamens, or apple cider vingar every day

I just thought you gave them meds only when they need it:confused:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
if you're giving them vitamens, apple cider vingar etc. for a illness they don't have, or not 100% sure they have it or not, isn't that over medicating them?

I didnt think it was safe to give them vitamens, or apple cider vingar every day

I just thought you gave them meds only when they need it:confused:
I know you can certainly give too many vitamins and cause a problem that way. Esspecially if you're treating something that's not there-

There's not a problem with giving acv everyday. Acv is really not med and it's safe for daily use. I know several people that have given it for years, there's LOTS of benefits from giving it and I've given it for the last year with no issues at all-only positive outcomes. Here's some info.http://naturalbird.com/mcwatters/acv_for_birds.htm

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah giving vitamins are bad if used everyday... but as these babys have been on a bad diet, i can be sure a little vitamins cant hurt...
the other 2 had the beginnings of sinusitis, and i gave them vitamins, and a change of diet, and they are now fine...
i use vitamins that are labelled as a 'booster' for breeding etc....
i use them for 3 days, then off for three days, i do this until i can see a difference, or until the bird gets any worse...
the only time i have had the vitamins not work, was when my budgie Queen got eggbound..... no amount of vitamins could have helped that....

·
Registered
263 Posts
To answer the question yes you are crazy! But I like your kinda crazy I am so jealous:( I think all four of your babies are beautiful! I like Cinn the best though just don't let the others know!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To answer the question yes you are crazy! But I like your kinda crazy I am so jealous:( I think all four of your babies are beautiful! I like Cinn the best though just don't let the others know!
hehe, to be honest, me too... it can be our little secret!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts