Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently we have 3 air cleaners(the filter type).But they are like 15yrs old and starting to make odd noises.Its time to get something new.
I dont really like the ones we have, they are noisy and they blow air around.
Does anyone use those new kind that are ionic?
I need something for right next to the bird cages in winter.I dont have hundreds to spend either but still need a quality air purifier.
Suggestions are welcome.
My son and hubby have allergies.They arent allergic to the birds but still I worry if I dont keep the tiel dust down they might get allergic to them.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If you get an ionic one, you can't use it near the birds. Its bad for the birds. I would go with a regular HEPA filter one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ionizer air purifiers are a big no no for the birds. I've posted about this as well and the best way to go is a HEPA type air purifier.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I posted about some filters before. :)

Here are a few on the cheaper side of quiet and effective air filters. With these there is an option to turn off the ionizer. Ionizers in filters aren't good for birds. They infuse the air with a scent to freshen it up. Which makes it about as good for a bird as a scented candle.

I like the Winix because it's quiet and close to the rabbit air filters (top price, but great air filters) for a cheaper price. They also have a sensor on it to eliminate odors right as they drift into the room. The first setting you don't really even hear it on.

http://www.amazon.com/Winix-WAC5500-.../dp/B004WT39QW

http://www.amazon.com/Winix-PlasmaWa.../dp/B001RUS05E

They're a little cheaper at Walgreens if you can find them. I contacted the company about how safe the 5300 is around birds and they were very helpful in their answers. The 5300 is safe as long as you turn off the ionizer, but they said if you had any doubts not to use it near your bird. They also mentioned that it didn't have any ozone emissions either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts