Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's getting to that time of the year where the hormones are starting to kick in!
My 3 tiel's are all starting to get noisier/moodier.
I've made sure there are no dark corners anywhere in our front room/ bird room, got rid of any toys that gets the male 'excited,' changed around all the toys/perches and have been putting them to bed for around 14 hours per night with a black cover over the cage...

Has anyone got any other tips for making this time a little calmer? Should I try putting them to bed for longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well I get mine more sleep like you, it clams them, and your already doing a great job. I always had to be patient with mine. Right now I only own a female so she doesn't give me problems during this time of year as much. But I owned many 'teil males and when your doing is exactly what I did. So best option is just keep doing that and also I coved mine one a while in the cage, just like every part but the front, and that seemed to calm him, just like a couple times a day. Always hope that helps! Give your babies my love!

~Skye

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey got started a bit early this time, when I gave him a ramekin for a food dish while on top of his cage. He decided to get all nesty and loving toward it. Cue the hissing, biting, moodiness, crabbiness and all around grouchy, loud Joey moments. We're nearly to the end of it now.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Like the "End of your Rope" or "End of this horrible season"?
:D Heehee!

For about 3 weeks it was the rope, but now it is end of this horrible season. While visiting a couple weeks ago, dad even told him "I have a baking dish just about your size, boy!" :D That was on one of his days where he just wanted to be loud, and no distraction would sway him from it. The last couple days he has been more himself, much quieter unless he is singing or talking.

Dad loves his grandbird and would never hurt him. He was just joking because he knows I jokingly tell him I'm going to eat him, or tell him he's going to go out and play with the neighbor's cats (both of which would never happen). :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
:D Heehee!

For about 3 weeks it was the rope, but now it is end of this horrible season. While visiting a couple weeks ago, dad even told him "I have a baking dish just about your size, boy!" :D That was on one of his days where he just wanted to be loud, and no distraction would sway him from it. The last couple days he has been more himself, much quieter unless he is singing or talking.

Dad loves his grandbird and would never hurt him. He was just joking because he knows I jokingly tell him I'm going to eat him, or tell him he's going to go out and play with the neighbor's cats (both of which would never happen). :D
Lol, I understand. Just wasn't surehttp://talkcockatiels.com/images/icons/giggle.gif

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
It's Autumn here now, phew... Hopefully the cooler weather will help ease my males' hormones, they've been hard to manage lately, lol! The long nights definitely helped, though.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
We suffered through without longer nights this time around. We were working so many hours, and our job was an hour behind our time zone, so we just couldn't bear putting him to bed as soon as we got home. As it was, we were only getting 1 -2 hours an evening with him before his normal bedtime.

Just as the worst was over, we were no longer at that job, because it was through a temp agency, and the place would rather use temps than hire most people on because it is cheaper for them. The hotel management job we are 99% certain to get doesn't start until May 1. We will know for certain the 14th, so we are waiting til then to see what the next step is. Until then. we see no point in finding what would be very short term jobs. So, we are leading a life of leisure and Joey is out from the time he wakes up til about an hour before bedtime and loving every second of it. It is just a shame his hormone flare up didn't wait a bit longer, then we could have easily put him to bed earlier and still enjoyed lots of time with him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts